 CAD / Development / 3671
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:07:58 GMT

Rui Martins wrote:

[SNIP]...
I think we should decide how the files should be stored
(upper, lower, or mixed case), and then append that to the
DAT format specification.

Why don't we just define filenames are case-sensitive, and allow for an
option to treat them differently (case-insensitive) if someone requires
it ?

we should look in to the future, every OS will tend to be case-sensitive,
windows hasn't made the change iet, because of it's DOS legacy. But
someday they will.

I am just saying this, because case-insensitive is just a special case
(may need conversion) of the more general case-sensitive case.
(try reading that fast, twice 8) )

Note: for compatibility, we should not use filenames like:
"model.dat" and "Model.dat" on the same directories, so that when people
use the case-option they won't get the wrong "model.dat".

This raises an issue !
the extension should be standardized (.dat .DAT .Dat ?).

My personal preference is lower case.

Mine is case-insensitive.

Mixed case should be allowed in DAT files no matter which
rule we choose for the external file names, but in case we
allow mixed case external file names, we will have some
problems with files from people who work on case insensitive
file systems.

Mixed case should be allowed (compatible with case sensitive), but
all people who work on case-sensitive systems, should strive to use the
correct name when referencing a file inside a .dat, or their files won't
be correctly viewed.

Having all that said, I would like to propose the following:
- case-sensitive filenames
- ".DAT" standard extension to minimize changes to existing files
- try to minimize the need for editing the current files
- check if a specific primitive/subpart is referenced with different cases
  in distinct files, and correct to be all the same.

I think this will suffice to port filenames to case-sensitive convention,
but correct me if I am wrong, or if there is anyway to improve this ideia.

        Rui Martins

There is one problem. several files were "corrected"  to have the stud.dat
references uppercased so that ledit would show the studs.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com