 Adventurers / 1162
  next year

Forgive me if I am asking something that has already been answered, but after all of the excitement over in the starwars group over next years stuff, I was wondering what next year holds for the Adventurers? I don't think I've yet read anything (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

(...) Unfortunately I'm afraid the Adventurers line has burned itself out--perhaps not in our eyes, but in the eyes of TLC. Three years is about the shelf-life of a theme, as far as I've been able to tell, so we shouldn't be surprised if 2000 is the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

Unfortunately I'm afraid the Adventurers line has burned itself (...) One of the things I'm really sad about, is that there are no new "past" themes, subthemes, or sets for next year. Adventurers,Pirates, Wild West and Castle are all gone, or at (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

(...) Sorry - got to be picky here, Star Wars is probably the oldest era of all Lego sets - it was after all set "Long long ago in a galaxy far far away". Apologies - going away now. Andrew. (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

(...) No, it was set in our future, but the story was being told by someone for whom the events of the Star Wars saga were in the past. Got it? (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  (canceled)

  Re: next year

(...) No, I don't think that you can draw that conclusion. There's nothing in the movie to date it (by our timeline) and while it seems to be a retelling of a story (at least from the intro scrolls with each movie) it's not a given. I know the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) The "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." line is, in fact, meant to mean that this all happened a long time ago from when we are now, and in a galaxy far, far away from where we are now. That was meant to give it a thrust of (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes: <Snip> (...) Rumour has it that the 3rd trilogy would have taken place about 25 years after the battle of Endor. The New Republic would be facing a dark new threat and the story would have been centered around (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Funny you should mention that, I had actually typed out a bit about the legendary third trilogy and deleted it as being less than on topic (along with a few other things). I do know that the third trilogy was about the rise of the New Republic (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes: <SNIPPED> (...) _Splinter of the Mind's Eye_ was concieved and written under contract by the same guy who ghost-wrote the novelization of the original movie for George Lucas. The reason for it was that in the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Interesting. I read _Splinter_ in something like the 4th or 5th grade for the first time, and I hadn't ever heard any of the above. I like the novel a lot, for what it is... and if memory serves, there are things that are directly contradicted (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) <snip> Alan Dean Foster. FYI ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Splinter is one of the few books I haven't read. I've read everything that was published since the Zahn trilogy kind of jump-started the Star Wars craze (well, except for the two new Agents of Chaos series books that are waiting on my (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Right, the storyline of _Splinter of the Minds Eye_ is actually quite good. I suppose Lucas did ignore it in a matter of speaking. What I meant by he didn't exactly "ignore" it is that in my mind there was never anything for him to ignore... (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Merci senior Muffin Head. -Bryan (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Star Wars novels (Was: next year)

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Maxwell writes: <Snip> (...) I agree. Most of the novels are worth reading (Thrawn Trilogy, X-Wing series, etc)and the caracters and back-stories are fairly consistent (Avoid Children of the Jedi and The Crystal Star at (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) If you ever go back and read the "old" SW novels, you might pick up Han Solo at Star's End. This is possibly the only SW fiction subject to f=ma. Fighter pilots feel g-forces when turning, occupants of rockets enjoy free-fall. There is no (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

<SNIP> I think that the Zahn trilogy would make a great Episodes VII-IX if (...) I like the look of the new Jedi books, but haven't had the time to read anything, let alone something new. Maybe will all of these reccomendations I'll change that. (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Ok, ok! But that's not the point! Is it too much to ask for a theme that DOES NOT have space ships and rockets and isn't based on a movie? There aren't even any new Town sets (unless you count the Alpha Team) for crying out loud! What happend (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Ah, I see what you mean. :D (...) I can't remember which book it was in, but when I got to the one with the Sun Crusher, I pretty much stopped. In the middle of the book. That was the last one I read. (...) I read the Hier to the Empire (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) at (...) Star's End is one of my favorite SW novels for all the reasons you list above- but you are aware it's only the first in a trilogy, right? Yes, you can follow the further adventures of Bollux and Blue Max through Han Solo's Revenge and (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) This is the first book of K. J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. Jedi Search, to be precise. Up to date, I've read Empire Trilogy from T. Zahn, Jedi Academy Trilogy from K. J. Anderson, Truce at Bakura from K. M. Tyers, and Bounty Hunter Wars (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Wow. It was the second SW book I read (SW:FTALS was the first). (...) Funny, I thought it was the release of "Star Wars" in 1977 that jump-started the Star Wars craze. ;) Steve (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) No, no, no Star Wars started the craze, Zahn jump-started it. 8-) Jason (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) You've nailed Anderson to a T. I can't stand his books, and most of the hard-core SW books fans have never forgiven him for the "editing" job he did on Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. One of the stories in there (which I think was written (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) <gets soap box> If you ever go to the newsgroup alt.startrek.vs.starwars you will be forced to learn this: Lucasfilm's offical policy on canon is: (in order of overruling for contradictions) Movies, Raido Dramas, Novelisations of the Movies, (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) That was kind of the point I was making by the non canon comment above... Oh, and the Enterprise beats an ISD any day of the week. 8-) (Just kidding, I don't really want to start this debate!) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

Funny, I know about the other books, but I never tried to read them. Maybe I was saving them for later. (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) What were they? I read _Splinter_ not too long ago, and don't remember any thing that was directly contradicted. Adrick (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) What about the new (and old) Del Rey books? Kids books? (...) Why not splinter of the mind's eye? (...) Adrick (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) these (...) Well unless the policy was changed in the past few months any expansion novel NOT published by Bantam Books is NOT Canon. If Del Rey bought Bantam or vice versa then maybe this has changed. (...) Same reason as above and of course (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) I see. (...) Then I will let you off the hook for that statement that flies in the face of on screen evidence. (Must- not- get- sucked- into- debate... AAAAHHHH!) -Lord Insanity (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

It's been quite a while since I read the book, but I seem to remember Vader's arm being chopped off by Luke for one. That doesn't fit with ESB or ROTJ very well. That and the other interactions between Vader and Luke in the book wouldn't fit very (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Yeah, the Sun Crusher was kind of cheesy... an ultimate weapon more powerful than the Death Star? Wasn't the Death Star the "ultimate weapon?" The ability to destroy a star, what's next? Whole galaxies? (...) The Jedi Academy books were pretty (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Yeah, and Luke and Leia start to fall in love and stuff like that... which doesn't work to well with the whole Leia-is-Lukes-sister thing... 'cept in Alabama... ;) (ugh, please don't flame me Alabamans... I didn't really mean it.) -Bryan (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) That was my beef. The Death Star was bad enough, get over it. Come up with something more interesting that has to be defeated. There are other interesting conflicts besides Big Bad Technological Things. (...) That's why I never read them, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Must make Kessel Run away from Maw of ISD/Enterprise debate..... Jason (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

<snip> (...) You are going to bash Anderson over something obscure like that and let Zahn get away with murder? (proverbially speaking) I swear Zahn thought he was writing a Trek novel. Let's see: He gives Luke's X-wing a pathetically inferior (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) But half the Star Trek movies had phaser bolts in stead of beams! (They were trying to copy Star Wars, I guess.) (...) Well, not really. A city covered planet just like Courscant appered in Isaac Asimov's Foundion books back in the 50's. He (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Ok, let me clear this one up for you. In one of Tim Zahn's books, Luke finds out(from Mara Jade) that Vader's hand was cut off by Palpatine in punishment for his failure at the Death Star. That would have been before SOTME. In SOTME Vader's (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Trantor was the name of the totally urbanized planet in Foundation. Trantor was also capital of the Galactic Empire, another concept found in Star Wars. Actually, now that I think about it, the Jedi and the Sith are a little like the two (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) It has. My take on canon is that evrey thing that is not DRICTICILY contradicted by a movie or new novel is canon to me (i.e. Ewok movies, kids books(exceped for the Galaxy of Fear and the godawful Hand of Vader seires) comic books (Old and (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Hope you don't mind me jumping in. There is some evidence that Coruscant, the City Planet, appeared in Leigh Brackett's story conference notes for the first draft of Empire in 1977. The City Planet was one of her favorite motifs, and young (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) No, sorry, the capital of the Galactic Empire was Coruscant. (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) was (...) Trantor was the capital of the Galactic Empire in the Foundation series, not Star Wars. I should have been more clear. I was trying to say that the concept of a Galactic Empire is something common to both Foundation and SW. I doubt (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

On galactic empires generally, E.E. "Doc" Smith is often mentioned as the guy who took sf out of the solar system. Try to imagine a more provincial time, before anyone had yet launched a rocket, when an IBM typewriter was cutting edge technology, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

"Adrick Tolliver" <tolliver@tstar.net> wrote in message news:G3HLJq.C97@lugnet.com... (...) OK. That makes sense. I'd forgotten about the punishment thing from the Zahn book. I suppose it could be made to fit in. (...) No definitive reason, I guess. (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

In lugnet.starwars, Jeromy Irvine writes: <SNIP> (...) R2D2 and C3PO are both very common style droids... C3PO may have been built by Anakin, but once he gets his coverings on he looks like any other protocol droid. R2 is just an astromech unit. (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Anderson drives me up the wall, that's just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Beside's it's not particularly obscure, and not the only mistake he made in laying that scene out. (...) OK, I'm a SW freak and I didn't even (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

(...) Safer? How? They are just droids, they can,t do anything to him. It was a backwater Imperial planet, no need to destroy equipment they can use and save the Empire a credit or two. They might have had useful information no the Rebels too. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: next year

Lucas & co. did make it clear once back in the eighties that Star Wars is set in the distant past (even from our present standpoint). -- Paul Davidson, aka Tinman www.theforce.net | Your Daily Dose of Star Wars www.filmforce.net | Your Daily Dose of (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

(...) Ok, ok! But that was not the point! What I was saying, is that there are no new sets or themes like Adventurers, Priates, Wild West and Castle. Instead we have Alpha Team, Life on Mars(I count that as a Space subtheme), Movie Maker, Star Wars, (...) (24 years ago, 11-Nov-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

(...) Harry potter isn't futuristic; the first book took place in 1991. SPOILER (kind of) I found this in the second book, because it says nearly headless nick died 500 years ago, and the gravestone says the date he died. Add 500 to that and your (...) (24 years ago, 11-Nov-00, to lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: next year

(...) Ok, ok, I know that, I messed up when I typed it(it was late!). What I've been trying to say, is that there are no more historicalish (Adventurers and some Castle can hardly be considred completly historical) themes or sets. All new sets and (...) (24 years ago, 13-Nov-00, to lugnet.adventurers)