 Administrative / General / 1337
Re: newsgroup name for ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:48:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, tcourtney@avenew.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
[...] If you were visiting the web page on LUGNET for the San
Francisco bay area,

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/

and you did a localized search, it wouldn't include lugnet.org.baylug
in the search because it's outside of the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf hierarchy.

But couldn't you add some link between the groups in your newsgroup
software so that they are associated?

Fuzzy category cross-referencing would definitely help.

[...]
Another problem is perception issues of what 'lugnet.org' or
'lugnet.com' would mean to people as a newsgroup/hierarchy...I think
that's too misleading.

Right, it is misleading.  A .domains group would be useful...

Oh.  I meant by all of that counter-example-ing that going down that path
crumbles because of the immediately arising need for an extra layer, i.e.
.domains or equivalent.  Because of that, and other reasons, I think it's
too gross to actually consider.

Could there possibly be just a lugnet.domains discussion group on the
need for domains for various Lego-related organizations, or is this
pushing it a little?

Those would probably just pop up as regular discussions in a topical or a
geographical newsgroup.  Probably best left there, where the participants
who would be closest to the processes would have the most exposure/input.

For example, the public discussions about GMLTC (gmltc.org) originated
in lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp (geographical group) and were crossposted later with
lugnet.trains (topical group).

--Todd