 Administrative / Database / 144
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 06:31:52 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> writes:

Absolutely.  (although, the niggling little voice in the back of my head • says
"why not get Todd to add a text search as well?"  I'm trying to beat it • down,
though.)

You mean indexing on content like the set name, human-entered comments, and
all that, yes?  With the option to disable matches on certain fields?

Something like that, yes.  I seem to be attacking this from an interface point
of view, so I'll keep with that, for now.  Scroll down for an example of some
of my thoughts

I know this would be clunky, but how about a two-tiered interface?  You • enter
what you're looking for, and the engine comes back with a list of fuzzy
catagories, with the number of 'hits' in each catagory?

Maybe two-tiered along with one-tiered on the same screen?  The two-tiered
stuff at the top, with the one-tiered stuff below it (but not too much that
it becomes a giant waste of bandwidth)...?

I like what Yahoo does, BTW, where they give a list of site-matches, but if
there are category-matches as well as site-matches, they list those first.
Do you like that approach?

Yes!  I knew I'd seen something similar to the ideas I've been tossing around,
I just couldn't remember where.

--Todd

Here's some more thoughts on potential 'looks' and options

Keyword: Santa
Search in:    Catagories (O)   Set titles (O)    Descriptions  ( )
Display: Number ( )   Name (O)   Availability (O)

Returned n results in Christmas-related sets

Santa                      Unavailable
Santa plus Reindeer        Unavailable
etc

at this level, the database would display results by the lowest applicable
subset - even though Christmas is a subset of holiday, it won't display returns
from holiday (unless there are 'santa' sets that fall elsewhere than Christmas)
Presumably there would be some kind of cut-off, so that a search for "monorail"
would return 2 in 'S'pace and 1 in 't'own, rather than 3 in System

Keyword(s):
Search Options: "Official" catagories= [   ]
LUGnet designated catagories= [   ]
Set titles [   ]
Set numbers [   ]
Descriptions [    ]
Piece Count [    ]
etc

Display Options:
Catagory Tree (O)     Branches up=x     Brances down=y
Result list   (various options)
   - sorted by (list of options)
etc

Something like this, where there is a quick and dirty 'search and go' that has
a couple basic options and would handle the most common searches, and a second
screen where you can configure your search to the umpteenth degree, being able
to create searchs like "'S'pace sets with set numbers less than 6000 and
greater than 6999, previous to 1996, and still available" or "'t'own sets, but
not trains or fire stations, that have more than 100 pieces.  or (for some
later implementation) "everything on my want list"

That last option occured to me as I was thinking an 'availablity' tag could be
cross-linked to the (eventual) LUGnet virtual market, for a -->really<--
powerful tool.