 Administrative / Database / 131
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:41:23 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

p.s.  Larry:  When we met in In August, you suggested that two-way fuzzy
references probably ought to accommodate separate fuzzy-values in each
direction, just in case it was ever needed.  At the time, we couldn't come
up with any real-life examples.  But maybe here's one:  If you're assocating
the set "female" with the set "woman" (this example DB has these for female
minifigs and the Belville mom), isn't it true that all women are female but
not all females are women?  That is, "woman" is a 100%-subset of "female"
while "female" is perhaps only a 75%-subset of "woman" in the LEGO world.
I need to re-read Kosko on the subject of super-sets being fractional
subsets of the smaller sets they themselves contain, but I think this might
actually be a real example of what we were wondering about...

Right. some dogs are female, and some aren't, but no dogs are women (and
no women are dogs, either, right? :-)   )
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.