 Administrative / Database / 136
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:41:18 GMT

"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> writes:

Absolutely.  (although, the niggling little voice in the back of my head says
"why not get Todd to add a text search as well?"  I'm trying to beat it down,
though.)

You mean indexing on content like the set name, human-entered comments, and
all that, yes?  With the option to disable matches on certain fields?

What other types of things can make (for example) LEGO-set or LEGO-theme
searches more relevant or irrelevant?  Certainly, having lots of categorical
classifications is a good start.

I know this would be clunky, but how about a two-tiered interface?  You enter
what you're looking for, and the engine comes back with a list of fuzzy
catagories, with the number of 'hits' in each catagory?

Maybe two-tiered along with one-tiered on the same screen?  The two-tiered
stuff at the top, with the one-tiered stuff below it (but not too much that
it becomes a giant waste of bandwidth)...?

I like what Yahoo does, BTW, where they give a list of site-matches, but if
there are category-matches as well as site-matches, they list those first.
Do you like that approach?

--Todd