 Administrative / Database / 124
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 07:14:34 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
I think both keyword-searches and various types of browsing are needed.

I think I understand the concepts a bit better from reading other posts on
this thread but just to make things clear (in my head) you're looking for
something that would use a relationship key (or set designation, or
fuzzy catagory) as it's primary search criteria and function something like
this:?

Keyword:  Santa

Returned n sets
xxxx   Santa
xxxx   Santa plus reindeer

xxxx   Santa & the elves

See also:  Christmas sets; holiday sets; promotional sets; freestyle sets;
minifig sets
<more>

'See also' would list relationships with a high affinity (say 75% or better)
and <more> would bring you lower affinity relationships, as well as other
search options to expand or contract your search

Perhaps an option that would let people _really_ customize their search would
be to allow the designation of a desired affinity.  For example:

Keyword: Santa

returned n sets
xxxx Santa                  100%
xxxx Santa with reindeer    100%

xxxx Elves                   70%

etc

This could be integrated with an interface level option that sounds feasable
with the structure you're looking for, and which I think would really add some
power: give options to change the actual look of the results.  For example:

Keyword: Santa

returned n sets
xxxx Santa                      Unavailable     19xx     26pcs
xxxx Santa plus Reindeer        Unavailable     19xx     54pcs

etc

I trust I don't have to go into detail on the advantages and drawbacks of a
search engine?

You'd be preaching to the choir.  :)  But in any case, I'd love to hear any
thoughts you'd like to share...

  - what you like about search engines
As an interface tool they're great for ease of use, but still  configurable
enough (well-designed ones, at least) to keep the most perverse techno-geek
happy.

  - what you dislike about search engines
My single biggest complaint about search engines isn't an issue with this -
I find it very unlikely that any of the Lego sets will try to get a competitive
edge by maximizing hit potential. ;)

  - what you've never seen before in a search engine, but would like to see
Stunning configurability, and super ease of use.  I beleive in faeries, too.

  - the most frustrating search-engine experience you've ever had
Most things internet ;)  Seriously though, I really think this project needs to
take a serious look at ways to minimize irrelevant hits.  I think you're going
a long way towards it with the fuzzy catagories line, but the single most
frustrating thing that search-engines do is pull in irrelevant hits.