 Administrative / Database / 100
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:25:30 GMT

OK, so here's my whole spiel on themes...

This is a medium-term planning thing (1-3 months) and a background task
while other stuff goes on.  I don't expect we'll have the new theme tree
completely worked out before the end of January or Februrary.

Accessories
   Adventurers
   Aquazone
   Castle
   Expert Builder
   General
   Keychains
   Launch Command
   PRIMO
   Pirates
   Space
   TECHNIC
   Technic
   Town
   Trains
   Various
   Wild West
   ?

"Accessories" is not a real "theme" in the "theme" sense, and neither should
it really be its own "category" where things deserve to go into it all by
themselves.  It's more of an attribute on any given set-object.  For
example, many (perhaps not all) of the 9V-Train accessories currently
categoriezed as Accessories/Trains or as Trains/Accessories are actually
-both- Train sets -and- accessory sets or accessory packs.

"Accessories" should still show up as a top-level "thing" that you dive
into, but sets shouldn't be _purely_ accessories.

Adventurers
   General
   ?

There actually are two themes here now within the Adventurers system, but
they both have the same name ("Adventurers").  The sets in the 1998 lineup
show an orange/yellow-encircled Adventurers logo with a scorpion, while the
sets in the 1999 lineup show a green/yellow-encircled Adventurers logo with
a spider.

Because of the different logos, these two sub-categories of Adventurers are
arguably official sub-categories of the main Adventurers category -- albeit
nameless ones.

In any case, we don't have to limit ourselves to official categorizations.
(And if we do, we'll go insane anyway.)  So what we can do in the short
term is call the 1998 line "Egypt" (or somesuch) and call the 1998 line
"Amazon" (or somesuch) and put them in curly braces as JoshuaD has stared
to do with some of the unofficial sub-categories of Town.  Later in the
Spring we'll clean these up and remove all the funny markup characters.

Abandoning the two-tier approach, we can make any number of official or
unofficial sub-categories for any category, and sub-categories can overlap,
meaning that sets can belong to many different categories.  For example, the
6512 Landscape Loader set could be categorized as a "construction" set as
well as a "promotional" set (it was sold as a regular retail set as well as
bundled as a special breakfast cereal offer).  Another example -- the 6399
Airport Shuttle set could be categoried as a "Flight" set ("Flight" being an
official sub-category of Town) as well as a "monorail" set ("monorail" being
an unofficial nebulous category).

Aquazone
   Aquanauts
   Aquaraiders
   Aquasharks
   General
   Hydronauts
   Stingrays

Here's a great example of a category with clearly defined sub-categories
in most cases.  "Aquazone System" is an official category with 5 themes
as sub-categories.

Set 6104 Aquacessories, currently categoriezed under Aquazone/General,
really belongs as perhaps a generic "Aquazone System" set, as well as
a [partially but not 100%] minifig set, as well as an [again, partially
but not 100%] accessories set.

6199 Hydro Crystalation Station is an interesting hybrid.  Officially (on
the box) it's classified as a Stingrays set, but it's obviously really a
Hydronauts set.  Or is it? -- after all, it's got a few Stingray elements
and a Stingray minifig.  Ideally (and we'll be able to do this later),
it would go into the database as:

   Actually:    90% Hydronauts,  10% Stingrays
   Officially: 0% Hydronauts, 100% Stingrays

(Percentages subject to debate.)

BASIC
   BASIC 3+
   BASIC 5+
   BASIC 7+
   General
   LEGOLAND
   Model
   Parts Pack
   Promotional
   Universal Building Set
   ?
Basic
   Universal Building Set
   ?

One might say that BASIC 3+, BASIC 5+, and BASIC 7+ are all sub-categories
of BASIC N+, where BASIC N+ is itself a (quiet) sub-category of BASIC.
It may also make sense to introduce unofficial sub-categories of BASIC N+
such as BASIC 4+ (and BASIC 6+) -- I think I've seen some sets called "4+
Tote Pack" or something like that.

"BASIC" and "Universal" are going to take a lot of work and research
to straighten out, because they go back so far in time, compounded by the
fact that they sometimes had different names in different markets.

Belville
   Accessories
   General

Belville is officially its own system, but it probably belongs as a sub-
category of some other category which encompasses all of:  Belville,
SCALA (old & new), and Paradisa -- the idea here being "girl stuff" since
that is TLG's intention.

The nice thing is, categories can overlap, so labeling Paradisa as "girl
stuff" (as TLG pretty much does nowadays) doesn't detract from the fact that
it's still part of Town.  Paradisa might be 20% "girl stuff" whereas
Belville and SCALA might be 80% or 90%.  Paradisa can still be 100% a
sub-category of Town even if it's 20% girl stuff.

Boats
   General

Boats is arguably part of "town" (lowercase-"t" here, not "Town"), or
at least part of some category which encompasses all modern-day themes
such as Town, Trains, Boats, etc.  Or maybe it's part of "Town" (capital "T"
here) but only in an unofficial small-percentage sense.

Bonus Packs
   General

Bonus Packs are a lot like Accessories in that they're more of an attribute
on a set than a real category in their own right.  Most bonus packs are
theme-independent, but not all; for example, even though this year's new
6469 Space Port Value pack is a multi-set bonus pack, it's quite clearly a
Space Port meta-set as well.  You surely wouldn't want it not to show up on
a page listing all Space Port sets just because it's a bonus/value pack.

Books
   General
   Idea Books

Ultimately, there will probably be three or four levels deep here within
Books.

And some idea books are theme- or system-specific.  For example, 8888 is
100% Technic, while 6000 is (approximately) 60% Town, 30% Space, and 10%
Castle.  8888 needs to show up on any page listing all Technic products.
6000 needs to show up on any page listing all Town, Space, or Castle
products.

Final note about 8888:  It's actually classified as an "Expert Builder"
book because it was released back in 1980, but Expert Builder later became
Technic.  (And I think Expert Builder may even always have been Technic
outside of the U.S., but I'm not sure.)

Building Set with People
   Model

This is a sub-category of some other category -- perhaps BASIC or
Universal or some category of which BASIC & Universal are sub-categories.
There are also many other "maxi-fig" sets besides these.  This official
category should probably be an unofficial sub-category of an unofficial
maxi-fig category.

Castle
   Black Knights
   Dark Forest
   Dragon Masters
   Forestmen
   Fright Knights
   General
   LEGOLAND Castle
   Ninja
   Royal Knights
   Various
   Wolfpack
Castle System
   LEGOLAND Castle

This will all get cleaned up into a "Castle System" category with several
sub-categories.  The "generic" or "old" or "classic" castle sets will
probably need to go into an unofficial "classic" (or somesuch) category
which is a sub-category of the "Castle System" category.

Looking at this year's red Ninja sets, it also may make sense to split
Ninja sets into two or three sub-categories -- the blue ones, the black
ones, and the red ones.

   Castle System  (official category)

   |-- Ninja  (official sub-category of Castle System)
   |   |-- Black Ninjas  (unofficial sub-category of Ninja)
   |   |-- Blue Ninjas   (unofficial sub-category of Ninja)
   |   \-- Red Ninjas    (unofficial sub-category of Ninja)

   |-- Fright Knights
   :   etc.

Note:  I'm no Ninja expert and haven't studied the theme(s) much -- the
above is an illustration of what's possible; it may or may not make sense.

The idea is to be able to break things down as finely as necessary for
search/browsing purposes while still retaining all the important "real"
categories.

Classic
   Cars

This is currently a single category of really old pre-brick sets -- old
metal race cars.  Someday maybe all the old wooden toys from the 30's and
40's can find a home here too...who knows.  The reason these are here is:
(a) they're LEGO, after all, even if they're not bricks, and (b) some of
the cars sets blur the line between cars and bricks -- some of the first
sets to use plastic automatic binding bricks were garages and carports for
these metal cars.

Clothing
   Hats
   T-Shirts

Clothing is another area like Books which will take a lot of research and
probably have a zillion sub-categories and many layers.  I think clothing is
part of an official line of products that LEGO calls "Lifestyle."

DACTA
   BASIC
   Baby
   Books
   Castle
   DUPLO
   General
   TECHNIC Mini-Series
   Toolo
   Town

DACTA is a great area to show why the two-tier approach is inadequate for
an all-encompassing DB.  Note that DUPLO and Toolo are listed as sub-
categories of DACTA (correctly, in a way, since DACTA sells both), but
also note that Toolo must always be a sub-category of DUPLO.  I think the
way TLG technically classifies Toolo is as a "system" within the DUPLO
"product programme."  (Joshua can correct me if I'm wrong there.)

In any case, when they're sold by DACTA, they're sold by a totally separate
division from the main LEGO powers-that-be.  But it's a bummer for some
of the Toolo stuff off tucked away under DACTA if you're a Toolo collector.

So Toolo belongs as a sub-category of the DUPLO category, and all of the
DUPLO Toolo sets sold by DACTA are need to be codified as being DUPLO Toolo
sets but also as DACTA sets.  In this model, DACTA still gets its own whole
tree/hierarchy of categories, but they overlap with the LEGO categories.

Another good cross-company example is 9376 LEGO DACTA Castle Set, currently
classified as DACTA/Castle, but really just a hybrid of Fright Knights and
probably Dragon Masters.  Anyone who collects all the Fright Knights sets
would surely want this set to show up on a Fright Knights listing -- or at
least not to be hidden by default.

An even better example is the '98 DACTA set called "Temple of Doom."
I don't have the number handy and I don't think it's in the DB yet, but
anyway, it's a meta-set consisting of three 100%-Adventurers-theme sets.
In fact, those three sets are available separately from LEGO, but not
separately from DACTA.  So fuzzy quantifiers will really work nicely here.

DUPLO
   Accessories
   Baby
   Basic
   Circus
   Circus?
   Dinosaurs
   Farm
   Farm?
   General
   Play Book
   Play Figures
   Play House
   Promotional
   Toolo
   Town
   Train
   Tubes
   Western
   Winnie the Pooh
   Zoo
   ?

DUPLO has a zillion sub-categories, most of them either unofficial or
really-obscure-but-nevertheless-official.  I'm not sure how the DUPLO
tree will end up looking, but I think it'll be at least 4 levels deep.

DUPLO is expecially interesting because it overlaps with Books -- there
have been at least a dozen children's books put out by LEGO that actually
contained DUPLO pieces (bricks, animals, people) to go along with the
thick-cardboard pages -- blurring the boundary between a "book" and "set."

Expert Builder
   General

Somehow, Expert Builder and Technic need to be brought together under the
same roof, but still retain their unique identities for official reasons.

Expert Builder may also have actually been named Technic in Europe back
in the late 70's when it was still called Expert Builder in the U.S.

Fabuland
   General
   ?

Fabuland is clearly its own system, but it's similar to BASIC 3+ in many
ways -- notably the yellow/red window and door elements.  Hopefully we can
figure out how to tie these together (lightly).

Floating Boats
   Boat

This was some kind of early-70's category.  There are only two sets
currently given in this category in the DB, and both may have hulls
similar to some of the later-70's sets which had minifigs.  (It's hard
to tell from the photos whether they're single- or multi-piece hulls.)

These ought to be reachable from both a "boats" starting point and a
"70's" (or somesuch) starting point.

FreeStyle
   ?

I'm not aware of any official sub-categories inside of FreeStyle, but I
think there are quite a few possible unofficial sub-categories.  The whole
class of so-called "Timmy buckets/tubs" might even be justified in getting
its own unofficial category.

Hobby Sets
   Model

This appears to be a mid-70's category of precision models of moving
vehicles (cars, motorcycles, and trains).  It's probably the pre-cursor
to Model Team and probably ought to be related in some way or another.

Holiday
   Christmas
   Easter

These are themed sets in the real meaning of the word (rather than the
regular LEGO meaning of the word).  The unofficial Christmas category could
be broken down even further into sub-categories for snowmen, Santas, and so
forth since they were repeatedly released with different designs.  Certainly
there must be people out there who only collect Santas.

Note also that the parts-makeup of these tends to be of the general
"BASIC" or "FreeStyle" variety, meaning that these sets ought to have
at least some weak association with those.

Homemaker
   General

This was an official mid-to-late-70's maxifig theme, with minifigs making
occasional appearances in the sets as babies or small children.

It's very interesting, BTW, to see 3 red/yellow Scala jewelry tiles show
up in the 293 Piano set <http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=293-1>.

LEGOLAND
   General

This was an official early-to-mid-70's theme pre-dating minifig Town but
having similar functions -- construction, police, fire stations, race
cars, ambulances, etc.  It also included things like the old 70's lunar
lander set, so it'll need to be broken down into unofficial sub-categories
to separate out the "town" stuff from the "non-town" stuff, etc., and to
group the scales and functions.

Legoland
   Model

This is somehow related to (or might be the same) the other "LEGOLAND"
category.

MINDSTORMS
   Expansion Set
   General

LEGO MINDSTORMS is not only its own system officially, but also its own
whole corporate structure -- as separate from main corporate LEGO as LEGO
DACTA and LEGO Media.  But as builders and collectors, we all just think of
it as a theme or a category of products.

There ought to be some way to relate Mindstorms, CyberMaster, and DACTA
computer systems (and whatever else) under some kind of unofficial
geek-tech category.  Mindstorms is also an unofficial sub-category of
Technic to some degree -- probably about the same degree that Trains and
Boats are unofficial sub-categories of Town.

Model Team
   General
   Radio Control
   ?

Is Radio Control officially a sub-category of Model Team?  Or is it a
sibling of Model Team?  All the regular Model Team sets I can see are
55xx-numbered (except 2556), and the '98 Radio Control Racer is 56xx(5600).

In any case, there probably should be an "electronic foofoo gizmo" (or
somesuch) category for the purposes of relating the Radio Control Racer
to other electronic things like the bar-code reader and Mindstorms and
all that -- all at different levels of geek-ness.  Again, it would be an
overlapping category which wouldn't detract from 5600 being a Model Team
set.

PRIMO
   General
   ?

LEGO PRIMO used to be called PRIMO, and before that it used to be called
DUPLO Baby in the U.S. while at the same time it was called PRIMO outside
of the U.S.  The DB currently only has about a dozen PRIMO sets, but there
are many, many more, and there are probably at least a dozen unofficial
sub-categories worth creating.

Pirates
   General
   Imperial Armada
   Imperial Guards
   Islanders
   Soldiers

Classifying Pirates sets is a real challenge -- there's the sub-category
of the Pirates System called Pirates, which overlaps with many of the
other themes.  That is, although all of the sets within the Pirates System
have official theme-classifications, many are hybrids -- mixing Pirates and
Islanders, or Pirates and Imperial Guards, for example.

BTW, speaking of Islanders, it might be nice to have some kind of an
unofficial category relates Islanders to year's Amazon-natives in the 199
Adventurers sets.  (Again, not in a way which detracts from Islanders being
squarely part of the Pirates System.)

Promotional
   ANWB
   Airline
   Chocomel
   Christmas
   General
   Halloween
   Martinair
   PEPSI
   SHELL
   Sabah
   Soccer
   Velveeta
   ?
Promotional Set
   Soccer

This will be a fun area to make lots of sub-categories in, and hopefully
Huw Millington will have some keen insights to share.

Many of these sets are actually Town sets -- for example 1590, which is
currently categorized as Promotional/ANWB.  Is it a Town set or is it a
promotional set?  Yes!  :)

I can see ANWB falling under an unofficial category called "airline" (or
somesuch) which falls under an unofficial category called "promotional"
(or somesuch).

The Promotional/Christmas category is probably the same unofficial
category as the Holiday/Christmas category -- just under a different name.
So maybe the whole unofficial "holiday" category belongs as a sub-category
of "promotional"...

It's interesting to look at the Promotional/Soccer category vs. the
Promotional/SHELL category.  In the case of Soccer, it's actually its
own *tightly coherent* theme -- (and as a side note, probably an unofficial
sub-category of Town to some degree) -- while in the case of SHELL, the
sets aren't their own "theme" but rather clear-cut instances of other
themes, such as Town, Fright Knights, UFO, first-year Adventurers, etc.
Nevertheless, the Shell sets need their own sub-category of "promotional."
So -- in other words, the difference between Soccer and SHELL here is that
sets within the Soccer category only belong to one category, whereas sets
within the SHELL category belong to two categories: SHELL and some other
theme-category.  If you collect all Space sets, you wouldn't want to
miss out on a U.F.O. set just because it was released through SHELL --
especially when it has a 4-digit regular LEGO set number.

I notice that the McDonald's sets aren't in the DB yet.  That'll need to
be a sub-category for McDonald's and then sub-categories within McDonald's
for the individual promotions (I think there were at least 3 years that
they did them).  One year (I think '89) they were offically called "LEGO
Motion" sets.  So "LEGO Motion" would be an official sub-category of
"McDonald's," which is an unofficial or official (not sure which) sub-
category of "promotional," which is an unofficial category.

The promo set 3047 Trick or Treat set (a.k.a. the "Orange Halloween
Bucket") is arguably also a FreeStlye set.  (Check out the makeup of
the pieces -- right down to the stoopit Timmy minifig -- and the artistic
style on the bucket and the presence of an idea poster -- normally only
found in FreeStyle.)  But of course it would have to be clearly designed as
UNofficially belonging to FreeStyle.  And if 3047 is not part of FreeStyle,
then it's at least part of something that FreeStyle is also a part of --
they're too similar not to be.

SCALA
   Accessories
   Doll
   Doll Clothing
   General
   Jewelry

SCALA is a great example of where categories based purely on product line
names fail.

The line of modular jewelry sets known as SCALA was released in the late
70's/early 80's and lasted very briefly (2 years, I think).

Note that the jewelry-SCALA from the early 80's is utterly, completely,
and totally unrelated to the doll-SCALA that just came out a couple years
ago.  The only thing they have in common is the name SCALA; for some
reason, TLG just decided to re-use the trademark rather than invent a new
one for the dolls line.

What this means is that two completely unrelated product lines are listed
together as a single main category.  But we can fix all of that in a new
system which doesn't use name-based primary keys.  If someone searches for
"scala" in a search box, the system should present them with two choices --
dolls and jewelry -- from which they can explore deeper into those separate
trees.

After the two are split, then the unofficial category of doll cloting can
be moved into a sub-category of the main doll category.

Samsonite
   BASIC
   General
   Mini Model Makers
   ?

I don't know much about Samsonite sets other than that they were their
own division of LEGO for a long time and made a lot of their own design
and release decisions.  Many of the sets currently denoted as Samsonite
are actually parts of other themes, but they've stayed listed as Samsonite
for the time being to avoid losing that information.

The "Samsonite" category is likely to have the same reorganization
challenges as the "DACTA" and "Promotional" categories -- with lots of
overlapping for different views of the data.

Space
   Blacktron
   Blacktron I
   Blacktron II
   Exploriens
   Futuron
   General
   Ice Planet 2002
   Insectoids
   M:TRON
   Roboforce
   Space Police I
   Space Police II
   Spyrius
   UFO
   Unitron
   ?

One of the things we'll be able to fix up is the "I" and "II" designators
on Blacktron and Space Police.  They don't belong there officially, but
they're still useful in an unofficial capacity.  Both I and II of Space
Police are officially called just "Space Police."  Blacktron II is
officially called "Blacktron Future Generation", while Blacktron I is
officially called just "Blacktron."  (Blacktron I might also have been
called "Black Space" in Europe; I forget, but we'll be able to take care
of that too.)

There might be 4 or 5 (or more) sub-categories of classic Space -- for
example, a little specialized category for the 3 ships in the Galaxy
Explorer family, and categories for the whole original blue/yellow/gray
collection of sets.

Star Wars
   ?

Star Wars already has two sub-categories -- one for the first 5 sets
(from Episodes IV, V, and VI), and one for the next 8 sets (from Episode
I, presumably).  The two sub-categories may not be official, but I'm sure
they'll be obviously different somehow.

Star Wars isn't a part of Space in the sense that it's not part of the
LEGO Space System (official category), but it's certainly part of the same
category that Space (capital "S") is.  And that "space" super-category
would also contain Launch Command, Space Port, and probably also the lunar
lander set from the 70's, and the Technic space shuttle.  Again, Launch
Command would still be a 100% official sub-category of the Town System
category.

TECHNIC
   Arctic Action
   Cyber Slam
   CyberMaster
   General
   Tech Build
   Tech Play
   Throw Bots
   Universal Building Set
   ?
Technic
   General

I don't know enough about Technic to set the ball rolling here, but I'm
sure there could be at least 3 levels deep in the tree here.  Perhaps even
the 4 bungee-chopper sets belong in their own unoffical sub-category.

Town
   Accessories
   City Center
   Divers
   Extreme Team
   Flight
   General
   LEGOLAND Town
   Launch Command
   Nautica
   Outback
   Paradisa
   Promotional
   RSQ911
   Race
   ResQ
   Rescue
   Service and Repair
   Space Port
   Time Cruisers
   Time Twisters
   Town Jr.
   ?
Town System
   Flight
   Rescue
   {Construction}
   {Race}

Town is a hugely complex system with many, many themes over the years.
Paradisa is especially interesting sub-category of town because it lasted
for so long and was featured so prominently and differently in catalogs
that people thought it was its own system separate from Town.  Time
Cruisers and Time Twisters are also special in that, although they are
both themes within Town and are siblings, they should really be moved down
a notch into their own separate, unofficial sub-category of Town:

   Town System  (official category)

   |-- foo1  (unofficial sub-category of Town System)
   |   |-- Time Cruisers  (official theme; sub-category of foo1)
   |   \-- Time Twisters  (official theme; sub-category of foo1)

   |-- foo2  (unofficial sub-category of Town System)
   |   |-- Launch command  (official theme; sub-category of foo2)
   |   \-- Space Port      (official theme; sub-category of foo2)

   |-- foo3  (unofficial sub-category of Town System)
   |   |-- RSQ911  (official theme; sub-category of foo3)
   |   |-- Rescue  (official theme; sub-category of foo3)
   |   \-- ResQ    (official theme; sub-category of foo3)

   :   etc.

BTW, it's interesting to note how similar the official Nautica-theme
sets are to official Boats-theme sets (or is it Boats system?).

Trains
   12v
   4.5v
   4.5v/12v
   9v
   Accessories
   Classic Trains
   General
   ?

Reorg festival! -- There must be enough fodder here to make a tree 4 or 5
deep!

And Larry can have monorail be a fractional sub-category of trains.  :)

Underground
   Rock Raiders

Not much info here yet.

Universal
   Accessories
   BASIC
   Enviro-Model
   FreeStyle
   General
   Model

I think "Universal" is an unofficial category.  Note that FreeStyle and
BASIC appear here in the current 2-level system as sub-categories of
Universal in addition to as their own top-level categories.  It will
take a bit of research to figure out how different Universal/BASIC sets
are from BASIC/General and BASIC/Universal Building Set.  I think there
are quite a few official and unofficial sub-categories waiting to come
out of the woodworks here.

Wild West
   General

Wild west only has one official theme inside the Wild West System, but
since it came out over two years and the second year's sets were quite
different, it probably makes sense to create a couple unofficial sub-
categories.

ZNAP
   General

Officially, ZNAP is its own whole system -- supposedly completely separate
from Technic -- but it's interesting to note that ZNAP sets have actual
Technic pieces in them -- that is, actual Technic pegs, gears, and motors.
In that sense, it's almost more like Technic than ThrowBots/Slizer because
there are more classic Technic pieces in regular technic colors in ZNAP than
in ThrowBots/Slizer.

But anyway, it'll certainly be possible to classify ZNAP officially as its
own whole system -and- unofficially as a fractional sub-category of the
larger world of Technic.

By the way, ZNAP sets are totally Technic compatible -- in that all of the
ZNAP beams have Technic peg holes, and some of the ZNAP connectors have
Technic axle holes.  There's even a new kind of white Technic axle.

The ZNAP plastic on the beams is a tiny bit softer than normal LEGO bricks/
elements (and K'NEX for that matter) but it doesn't feel junky at all.  I
look forward to building some cranes and support structures out of ZNAP
pieces someday for my space mining colony, and would have no reservations
about mixing ZNAP pieces in with my LEGO pieces.

ZNAP is actually much more LEGO-System compatible than the SCALA doll
system is.  Maybe, with all of it's beams, ZNAP is why TLG has been
reducing the quantities of beams in regular Technic sets over the past
few years.

?
   ?

Question marks indicate sets whose themage is not yet known -- mostly old
stuff that requires deep research into old catalogs.

--Todd