 Administrative / Database / 132
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:25:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

Looking at this year's red Ninja sets, it also may make sense to split
Ninja sets into two or three sub-categories -- the blue ones, the black
ones, and the red ones.

I know you said you made this up for the sake of an example, but Nik and
I got in a row about this last night so I thought I'd share. I have to
credit him for making me scan all the sets and their figs. There don't
actually seem to BE any blue ninjas! Based on TLG descriptions and
examination of the sets, there are the following types of minifigs in
the sets:

- Samurai: blue torsos and arms, grey helmet "leather plate" that takes
the horns via clip
- Shogun: Like a samurai, but white torso/arms, grey "leatherplate"
breast armor and white leatherplate clip helmet
- Ninjas: These come in 4 colors, plus a special one
All grey with grey "cloth" face cover
All black with black face cover
All red with red face cover (the "red ninjas")
All white with white face cover (the "red ninja princess")
Red Ninja Master: all red with white beard and 2x2 garbage can lid hat
- Robbers/Bandits: Red torso, black hat (either the same helmet as
Samurai, but black, or black pirate/elf/santa droopy hat)

This is very confusing, there are a lot of different factions.
Prototypical, actually (ever play Sword of the Samurai??... to win you
have to play everyone else against each other)

Actually, there are only three factions, according to TLG.  They are the Blue
Clan Samurai, the Red Robbers, and the Red Ninjas.  The Blue Clan is teamed
with the Dark Gray Ninjas, the Red Robbers are teamed with the Black Ninjas,
and the Red Ninjas are led by the Ninja Princess and the Evil Shogun (Daimyo).
If there are "subthemes" for Ninja, then these would be it.

Jeff