 Administrative / Database / 107
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:37:17 GMT

Something like 2188 would probably
go in as 100% "Colorline", 0% "ferry", and 100% "FreeStyle" (100% rather
than 80% or 90% because it actually says "FreeStyle" on the instructions).

But given that 2188 is available only on ferries, doesn't that count for
something? Its not a ferry per se, but in some way it is related to 'ferry',
taking 'ferry' to be a generic term for a group of co-promoting companies.

What then about things like Unitron (1787, 1789, 1793) and Roboforce
(2151-2154)?  Are those promotional because of the numberings, or are the
numberings out-of-place because of the limited release?

To my mind, they received those number because of their release in certain
markets only (initially, anyway). Someone in LEGO UK must have the job of
number allocation, for which s/he uses a set of criteria for defining what
to use.

How about Dark Forest? -- I think Dark Forest was released to the same
markets as Roboforce (i.e., U.S. plus a couple other places), but Dark
Forest sets kept the normal castle 60xx numberings.

But yes, this contradicts that rule. Perhaps numbers are allocated on
initial proposed markets.
Only one = special number, more than one = regular number?

A promotional set to my mind is any set that has not been given a set • number
in the same range as others of its type. LEGO must have deviated for some
reason - usually its obvious why, but sometime not.

I'm still confused as to why there are 3 versions of Treasure Raiders --
2879, 5909, and 5948.  I think only one of them (2879) has the mummy • storage
case -- at least they gave it a number clearly way out-of-range.

I think 5909 and 5948 were available from all retailers in their specific
markets, but 2879 was UK TRU only. 2879 was in a regular box, while 5909
came with the storage case which may be why it has a different number from
5948.

LEGO numbering policy doesn't seem consistent through the years, either.
Take the small Spyrius set: (off the top of my head) 1714 polybag in the US
and 1954 boxed in the UK. Nowadays such sets seem to get close regular
numbers (5901/5902 for example). They also seem to be using up numbers like
there's no tomorrow, giving seemingly similar sets different numbers for no
apparent reason. Still I guess now they are going to 5 digit set numbers,
they needn't worry.

Just what does consititute a promotional set is something you'll have to
define. My definition as I have said is any set that falls within the
'promotional set number ranges', which Grahame Reid can define better than
I.

Its a minefield...

Huw