 Administrative / Database / 109
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:51:22 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:25:30 GMT, Todd Lehman uttered the following
profundities...
Adventurers
   General
   ?

There actually are two themes here now within the Adventurers system, but

Because of the different logos, these two sub-categories of Adventurers are
Adventurers being the main theme, Desert Adventures as the 1st, Jungle
Adventures as the 2nd.
Castle
   Ninja
This will all get cleaned up into a "Castle System" category with several
All of the pre-ninja castle sets are Euro-centric type castles. The Ninja
theme is Japan, and therefor very different. I would have thought Ninja as
a theme in its own right to be appropriate. Most Japanese structures that
were in a castle-style I thought were classified as forts..
Clothing is another area like Books which will take a lot of research and
probably have a zillion sub-categories and many layers.  I think clothing is • Many Layers! LOL! Especially if you are in a cold country.......
Is Radio Control officially a sub-category of Model Team?  Or is it a
sibling of Model Team?  All the regular Model Team sets I can see are
55xx-numbered (except 2556), and the '98 Radio Control Racer is 56xx(5600).

Its own theme altogether. Completely different style to Model Team anyway.
<snipped Space, Star Wars, Technic, Town>

Star Wars, own theme. 2 Sub-themes, presumably a 3rd 20 years from now. Each
subtheme spreading across the trilogy. Space, 565 was mentioned. Different type
of figure, different sub-theme.
Town-split between minifigs/armless minifigs and
anything prior to it. Major shift in building type/scale.
Technic..
ZNAP
   General

Officially, ZNAP is its own whole system -- supposedly completely separate
from Technic -- but it's interesting to note that ZNAP sets have actual
Technic pieces in them -- that is, actual Technic pegs, gears, and motors.
In that sense, it's almost more like Technic than ThrowBots/Slizer because
there are more classic Technic pieces in regular technic colors in ZNAP than
in ThrowBots/Slizer.
And many Lego system sets, regardless of theme categorization, have Technic
pieces in them, as have Technic containing Lego System pieces. The 8480 being
the best possible example, with 2 minifig seats in the cockpit. Does this
qualify as the duck-billed platypus set perhaps? The one link between the 2
different systems? Should not, therefor, 8480 also be a town/space/launch
command/space port set? And as Suzanne has the micro-technic helicopter, with a
mini-fig seat, you have no doubt placed a minifig in the seat, despite the head
sticking part-way out of the cockpit.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                  ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/