 Administrative / Database / 112
Re: Official and Unofficial theme categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:46:42 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
OK, so here's my whole spiel on themes...

This is a medium-term planning thing (1-3 months) and a background task
while other stuff goes on.  I don't expect we'll have the new theme tree
completely worked out before the end of January or Februrary.

This may seem an odd question, but is this topic meaning to discuss how the
database will be organized at a data level, or at an interface level?

If the former, this is probably irrelevant to the vast mojority here, so I'm
assuming the later. (but it doesn't hurt to ask)

If the later, then here's a suggestion:

Have a tree which has only the official Lego theme/sub-theme designations.  If
you split things up otherwise, or add 'unofficial' themes, then you run into
some difficulties:
a) You will _never_ make everyone happy.  Everyone will use a different
criteria to judge what goes where, and will be irritated if they can't find
things, or are constantly finding things they don't want to see.  (a town
purist may have a pathological aversion to trains or something)
b) The deeper and more complicated the tree gets, the less people will use it.
c) I'm not sure if this is an issue, but redesignating themes, or creating
arbitrary ones may run contrary to TLG's Fair Play document

Obviously this isn't enough of a solution - there has to be something else
available.  How about a keyword triggered search?  It's a fairly
straightforward setup, and is familiar to about 103% of the on-line community.

I trust I don't have to go into detail on the advantages and drawbacks of a
search engine?