 Administrative / Database / 143
Re: Fuzzy categories: The death of black & white
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:05:09 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> writes:

Also sprach Todd Lehman:
To be more precise, Star Wars sets are certainly "space" sets (lowercase "s"),
but clearly not "Space" sets (uppercase "S" as in "LEGO[LAND] Space System")
because of their non-6[89]xx numbering.

Ah, but as various 4xx, 8xx, 9xx, 21xx and 17xx sets have proven, set
numbers do not an official Space set make either ...

Ah, but sometimes they do (anything in 6800-6999 :-).  But I admit, it's
possible that TLG may someday destroy the sacred 6800-6999 range as they
destroyed the 6700-6799 range.  67xx used to be solely for Space minifigs and
Space Light & Sound sets, and then they muddied it up with Wild West.

Not that there's anything wrong with WW, but TLG certainly couldda put WW in a
totally unused area like 70xx, 71xx, 72xx, 73xx, 74xx, 75xx, 76xx, or 79xx.

Note that Star Wars now spans almost the entire 71xx range, with hits ranging
from 7101 up to 7171 (hopefully we'll see a Millenium Falcon at 7191! :).
Considering that the SW license is set to last 8 years, TLG probably plans on
populating the 71xx range pretty heavily, assuming they don't go to a 5- or
6-digit scheme.

Ninja really makes my brain hurt!  The first Ninja stuff fit properly into the
60xx slots for Castle, but some of the recent Ninja stuff is located at
3016-3019 and 3050-3053, with another anomaly at 4805 of all things.  The 3xxx
sets make sense due to their limited marketing, but 4805 is really bizarre,
seeing as it's the only set in 4600-4899!  :-o

Anyhow, going from the fact that the Rock Raiders theme is part of a new system
called Underground in the 49xx range, and the Adventurers system is 59xx, and
the Aquazone system is 61xx, it'd be extremely weird if Star Wars sets in the
71xx range were perversely somehow officially part of the Space System, eh?

And there's still puhhlenty of room for 10 years or more of new sets in the
68xx-69xx range for new Space System sets.  But on that note, I wonder if Space
is dead now...(methinks yes).  After the SW license expires and TLG sits back
and revels in how amazingly successful it was, are they more likely to go back
and create new Space System sets, or to license some other movie/TV show?  :-(

which only goes to show the nature of the task you have undertaken.
I do not envy you ...

I think it's a lot of fun.  I only know Space and Aquazone, and Suzanne knows
Adventurers, Wild West, Pirates, 9V Trains, and some DUPLO...but we're not
alone -- there are many, many more historical and potential future
contributors...  The task I'm undertaking really is to make sure that LUGNET
can orchestrate everything.

I have the chore of chosing which FAQ questions go where, with the
inevitable outcome being no matter what I decide, someone will hate it:)
That's quite enough ambiguity for me:)

Well, you've got a whole newsgroup there to hold discussions in -- in order to
avoid as many as of those inevitable outcomes as possible.  Plus, there are at
least two other people highly motivated toward the same end -- one in the
Mindstorms arena and one in the general sense.  Some form of voluntary
cooperation and/or delegation between the three of you and others may produce
the best all-around results.

--Todd