 Trains / 21447
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:44:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   3.) diameter bigger than set 7750 and smaller than set 396
How did you reach this?

Hi Tim!

??You are asking why I demand this (bigger than set 7750 and smaller than set 396)? Both sizes do exist. So I see no highly urgent need for those. The size inbetween is not only a compromise, but in my eyes the golden center.

   5.) narrow gaps between two wheels

do you mean the gap between two flanges of adjacent wheels, if so yes

Yes, I meant that. Sorry for my bad use of language....

   8.) wheel thickness higher than 9V and less than 1 stud (avoid contact between moving rods and wheel)

so the thickest bit is the pin connector hole?

Not really, since this hole is shorter than 1 stud. (look at any technik brick and you will recognise that the hole is shorter than the width of 1 stud).

   9.) counterweight as “click-on” extra part, (if 2 moulds were possible)

Would be nice but by no means essential,

I agree in the meantime. The majority seems to prefer included counterweights.

   10.) shape not 100% after real prototypes but kind of “legoish”.

a generic wheel is best

What is your definition of a “generic” wheel?

   11.) center stud with Legologo
not at all essential (imho)

But it would be really nice in case the wheel is from a third party: it gives a more legoish feeling and increases the acceptance(imho).

   12.) ((Extra wish -Additionally a wheel without flange (blind driver) should be available.))

perhap the wheel and the flange could be seperate mouldings. e.g the wheel piece looks fairly similar to the existing large spoke wheel that people use with the addition of axle and pin holes and no groove arround the circuference and the flange piece be a pretty simple ring shaped piece with a click fit onto the wheel

Hard to realize this for 1 running diameter. And you need 2 moulds in both cases anyway.

Leg Godt!

Ben