 Trains / 21409
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 04:49:52 GMT

   That said, though, I think for freight locos I’d rather err a bit smaller too, I guess. I have never seen a graph of engine population density vs driver diameter so I’m guessing but I think smaller may be a bit more common than say 5 or 6 studs across ala the Thatcher Perkins driver you show on the other side. But I don’t see 4 as totally too large by any means. In fact I think it’s a good choice.

Given 5 bricks=6 ft (a minifig), then 5 bricks is if anything, midrange. engines I have data on here- 8P (DoG) was 74”, a UP FEF was 80”, J is 70”, German 05 is 90”, NYC J3A 79”, GWR Castle 80”, German P8 69”

So, a 5 stud diameter looks about right to me.

James