 Trains / 21473
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:

   One question, I can’t really tell from the images:

Is the distance between the axle hole and the peg hole a standard stud distance?
Hi John,

thanks for bringing up this question! I was thinking about this for a while myself and I decided to do it in a distance of 8 mm (which is same as two stud centers next to each other on a 1x2 brick - or holes in a technick beam.)

Oh, that’s exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!!

Now, as I brought up several days ago -- can I get a dozen in black? :-)

JohnG, GMLTC

Another few issues with clearances - I wonder if you’ve considered all these...

It looks to me as though if you did use a centre round plate, a coupling rod would have a hard time clearing the stud. Not a problem to leave it off though.

Half-plate thickness lift-arms actually enclose the end of the dark-grey half-pin and half of the ridge around its mid-section. Would they clear the rim of the wheel if attached as a coupling rod?

The spacer ring on the inside of the wheel needs to be carefully designed so that it doesn’t sink in to a technic hole, causing the rear of the dark grey pin to rub.

If you space the wheel out too much though, you couldn’t use an ordinary technic pin (or ball-type steering pin) and stay within an 8-wide loading gauge.

Jason Railton