 Trains / 21433
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 14:43:03 GMT

   Given 5 bricks=6 ft (a minifig), then 5 bricks is if anything, midrange. engines I have data on here- 8P (DoG) was 74”, a UP FEF was 80”, J is 70”, German 05 is 90”, NYC J3A 79”, GWR Castle 80”, German P8 69”

So, a 5 stud diameter looks about right to me.

James

How many of those are high speed passenger locos though? In terms of population density, low speed freight locos were much more predominant and they had smaller drivers.

Most of the above are passenger- DoG is a one off. But, the P8 was a bit more than a make up- there were 3800 of them built. :). Also, when you look at the UK, 9F’s have a 60” dia wheel, which is small for most mainline locos- and I am assuming most people here don’t model 0-4-0 tank engines with 30” wheels :)

Go stand next to any loco, and you will see what I mean- they tower over most people quite nicely :). Even a CP 0-8-0 that I was near recently- the wheels are not as tall as I am (6’) but they are still quite close.

James