 Trains / 21397
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:41:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Hi all!

In the past we have collected some demands we train heads have on driver wheels. These have been requested several times at TLC so far.

This is something i have spent hours working out (in my mind) as I walk the dog every night! My conclusions end up lookin pretty much the same as yours

Here comes the wishlist to make up a draft for a new driver wheel:

1.) technic axle center

Yes

2.) peg hole for connecting rods

yes

3.) diameter bigger than set 7750 and smaller than set 396

How did you reach this?

4.) flange design similar to 9V wheels

yes

5.) narrow gaps between two wheels

do you mean the gap between two flanges of adjacent wheels, if so yes

6.) distance between centers of two neighbour wheels in a “common” dimension (4 stud / 5 stud / 6 stud?)

yes

7.) running diameter dimension fitting to 9V and 12V wheel diameters

yes
   8.) wheel thickness higher than 9V and less than 1 stud (avoid contact between moving rods and wheel)

so the thickest bit is the pin connector hole?

9.) counterweight as “click-on” extra part, (if 2 moulds were possible)

Would be nice but by no means essential,

10.) shape not 100% after real prototypes but kind of “legoish”.

a generic wheel is best

11.) center stud with Legologo

not at all essential (imho)

12.) ((Extra wish -Additionally a wheel without flange (blind driver) should be available.))

perhap the wheel and the flange could be seperate mouldings. e.g the wheel piece looks fairly similar to the existing large spoke wheel that people use with the addition of axle and pin holes and no groove arround the circuference and the flange piece be a pretty simple ring shaped piece with a click fit onto the wheel

   Question:

If only one single mould would be possible due to too low demand and high costs for new moulds, what would you prefer: Should the counterweight be included in that wheel-mould or not? In case of only one mould being possible, the users would surely obmit in blind drivers (since anybody could easiely cut the flange off himself - better have a wheel with flanges than not having it....).

I have also been thinking more complicated than this for electricity pickup using a metal flange etc but I think simplicity is the key if we are going to get anyone to make it. This is the one piece that I would be prepared to go non-lego for

Tim