 Trains / 21411
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:38:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell wrote:

   That said, though, I think for freight locos I’d rather err a bit smaller too, I guess. I have never seen a graph of engine population density vs driver diameter so I’m guessing but I think smaller may be a bit more common than say 5 or 6 studs across ala the Thatcher Perkins driver you show on the other side. But I don’t see 4 as totally too large by any means. In fact I think it’s a good choice.

Given 5 bricks=6 ft (a minifig), then 5 bricks is if anything, midrange. engines I have data on here- 8P (DoG) was 74”, a UP FEF was 80”, J is 70”, German 05 is 90”, NYC J3A 79”, GWR Castle 80”, German P8 69”

So, a 5 stud diameter looks about right to me.

James

How many of those are high speed passenger locos though? In terms of population density, low speed freight locos were much more predominant and they had smaller drivers.