 Trains / 21370

Subject:
Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:32:26 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all!

In the past we have collected some demands we train heads have on driver wheels. These have been requested several times at TLC so far.

Here comes the wishlist to make up a draft for a new driver wheel:

1.) technic axle center

2.) peg hole for connecting rods

3.) diameter bigger than set 7750 and smaller than set 396

4.) flange design similar to 9V wheels

5.) narrow gaps between two wheels

6.) distance between centers of two neighbour wheels in a “common” dimension (4 stud / 5 stud / 6 stud?)

7.) running diameter dimension fitting to 9V and 12V wheel diameters

8.) wheel thickness higher than 9V and less than 1 stud (avoid contact between moving rods and wheel)

9.) counterweight as “click-on” extra part, (if 2 moulds were possible)

10.) shape not 100% after real prototypes but kind of “legoish”.

11.) center stud with Legologo

12.) ((Extra wish -Additionally a wheel without flange (blind driver) should be available.))

Solution: A wheel in diameter of nearly 5 studs (1 plate distance between neighbour wheels) as seen in the following pictures. A round 1x1x0.33 plate can be placed in the center.

The unofficial *.dat part-file of the wheel itself can be downloaded here

The *.dat part-file of the counterweight can be downloaded here

A first draft of an engine with these wheels has been done here:

(click to enlarge)

If only one single mould would be possible due to too low demand and high costs for new moulds, what would you prefer: Should the counterweight be included in that wheel-mould or not? In case of only one mould being possible, the users would surely obmit in blind drivers (since anybody could easiely cut the flange off himself - better have a wheel with flanges than not having it....).

Any further importeant points I missed in my design? I have put quite a lot of time into this “draft” to make this new part as usefull as possible. So hopefully you have not a too big demand for a further change in design.

Leg Godt!

my Homepage:

Re: Draft of a new driver wheel