 Trains / 21404
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

On the left hand is a wheel from 396 etc. And I never saw a broken one. My spokes are twice as thick as these old one have been.

   Personally, I prefer a smaller wheel (3 studs across the hub). What size is this across the hub, rather than the flange?

Have not measured it myself (in millimeters) so far, only in CAD-coordinates...

From your own picture, eyeballing the measurement by holding pencils up to the wheel and the ties below it and so forth, I get that the hub diameter is just a smidgeon below 4 studs across, while Jason of the green engine wants 3, which coincidentally is about the diameter of the wheel you show next to it (the one used in the 7750?).

Given that wheel exists, why do another one that diameter (ignoring for the moment what the price of that wheel actually IS) ??

That said, though, I think for freight locos I’d rather err a bit smaller too, I guess. I have never seen a graph of engine population density vs driver diameter so I’m guessing but I think smaller may be a bit more common than say 5 or 6 studs across ala the Thatcher Perkins driver you show on the other side. But I don’t see 4 as totally too large by any means. In fact I think it’s a good choice.