 Trains / 21471
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:36:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Hi all!

In the past we have collected some demands we train heads have on driver wheels. These have been requested several times at TLC so far.

Here comes the wishlist to make up a draft for a new driver wheel:

snip

One question, I can’t really tell from the images:

Is the distance between the axle hole and the peg hole a standard stud distance?

Hi John,

thanks for bringing up this question! I was thinking about this for a while myself and I decided to do it in a distance of 8 mm (which is same as two stud centers next to each other on a 1x2 brick - or holes in a technick beam.)

You nearly could have guessed it out of the picture above, the inner black line is the diameter of a 1x1 round plate (=8mm).

my Homepage:

Good question! It “arguably” doesn’t matter as much as some distances though, unless you plan to mount something between them. In many applications you just have the main rod and or connecting rod to deal with and the eccentricity they have is only a factor in considering how much connecting rod and piston rod throw you’re going to have to deal with.

Still it would be nice to know. Personally I hope it’s rather short.

Well, I know how pointless it would be to “argue” with Lar (grin), but it would seem silly to not have this be a standard distance. I could easily imagine using a Technic cam or 1x3 liftarm on a wheel. (John frantically searching for FTX reference for displaying LDraw images and not finding it...)

JohnG, GMLTC

Sorry,I have not had time to read all of the posts on this subject. I would love to see TLC make these wheels. But, I don’t think that they ever will. SADLY ,the 12v era has gone. Even though 12v wheels still work fine on 9v .rails.

Being this , was any AFOL planing to start making some new steam train wheels? In RED,BLACK & GRAY. As I would like to get some . I’m guessing that they won’t be cheap. As A mould would have to be made. Perfect design BEN !! Many thanks , Teunis.