 Trains / 21466
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:27:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:

   Is the distance between the axle hole and the peg hole a standard stud distance?

Good question! It “arguably” doesn’t matter as much as some distances though, unless you plan to mount something between them. In many applications you just have the main rod and or connecting rod to deal with and the eccentricity they have is only a factor in considering how much connecting rod and piston rod throw you’re going to have to deal with.

Still it would be nice to know. Personally I hope it’s rather short.

Well, I know how pointless it would be to “argue” with Lar (grin), but it would seem silly to not have this be a standard distance.

Ya I agree. I was only saying that in the universe of design decisions, some matter more than others and this one matters less. But Ben’s design does indeed use a standard distance...

   I could easily imagine using a Technic cam or 1x3 liftarm on a wheel. (John frantically searching for FTX reference for displaying LDraw images and not finding it...)

I look for that reference a lot too. I find it this way, via a trick I learned a while back, maybe it will help you too. The “more” link on the side of the post box when posting in FTX mode leads you here:

http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/ftx-refcard-600x525.html

delete the html part so all you have left is this: (this is the key thing to remember):

http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/

and that’s your guide. Midway down the page is the info on inserting LDraw parts, which takes you here

http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/ldrawparts

so the cam you want is

Hope that helps!

And oh by the way, I got my wish, Ben’s throw IS rather short, just one stud. Some freight engines have higher eccentricity but I think short throw is a good compromise.

++Lar