 Trains / 21401
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:25:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Brad said “no”. But there are other parties than TLC. Would you (and what about the other train heads?) ignore this design, when it would be done by a third party supplier?

Ben - I may have missed something. What did Brad say ‘no’ to? Moulding this specific part, or big drivers in general?

I really like the look of this part, and everyone knows we all want drivers, but I think the spokes seem a bit thin and may weaken with heavy running - particularly around the coupling rod mount.

Personally, I prefer a smaller wheel (3 studs across the hub). What size is this across the hub, rather than the flange?

It’s just if you use a flexing wheelbase, the drivers have to pass freely under the sole-plate, so I find smaller than scale to be more useful. Mind you, I’d still use these, and I appreciate that if it’s going to be a single mould, it should be a compromise between the requirements of 6-wide and 8-wide modellers.

Jason Railton

P.S. As for Larry, La La La I can’t hear you...