 Trains / 21480
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:52:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Fleskes wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote: snip
   Being this , was any AFOL planing to start making some new steam train wheels? In RED,BLACK & GRAY. As I would like to get some . I’m guessing that they won’t be cheap. As A mould would have to be made. Perfect design BEN !! Many thanks , Teunis.

To answer your question, Yes. Based on some ‘inside’ information, somebody is making train drive wheels. I’ve heard they will be available for purchase certainly before christmas.

It leaves me wondering, how much would you pay? What is a fair price?

well... something more than what I am getting parts for out of the 3033’s I bought on sale ( about 1.2 cents a piece) and something less than what I paid for my last service pack of larger drivers. I can’t find the number for it offhand, service packs are hard to search for... but it has two pair and they;re the larger drivers... it MIGHT be this one:

    5070 Wheel Sets
2 elements, 0 figures
LEGO > Accessories > Trains

Nope, those are the smaller black spokers, these are the larger red ones... it’s either this one

    1143 {2 wheel bricks with attached large red train-wheels}
6? elements, 0 figures
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 4.5v > Accessory Elements

or this one

    5071 Large Wheel Set
2 elements, 0 figures, 1987
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 4.5v > Accessory Elements

part 4180c04 is the part number I think but Peeron doesn’t have a pic

These larger drivers are the ones ues in 7750:

    7750 12v Electric Steam Locomotive
{269} elements, 2 figures, 1980
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 12v > Locomotives

The packs are hard to find, and I was happy to get the one I did... I paid 30 Euros for (and thought I got a pretty good deal on it) at LegoWorld from Henry’s Brickjewels...

(BTW the 7750 inventory is wrong, it omits these wheels of which I speak! http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/inv/sets/7750-1?withpics=no )

So, somewhere between 1.2 cents each and 10 euros or so.. Does that help?

OK more seriously these things can’t be cheap, there are tooling costs to recoup. The demand is probably inelastic up to a point at which point it turns elastic. To see what I mean...

I’d pay 5 to 10 a pair without even blinking but I bet that requires a huge production run to recoup your costs so I’d be resigned to paying somewhat more than that I guess. Price them at 50 a pair and I’d be thinking pretty hard about how badly I wanted to build big electric locomotives (remember, these spoked drivers would be good for large european electrics too!) and big steamers...

So you need to find the knee in the demand curve. Maybe price them really high and lower the price over time till sales stop increasing?