 Trains / 21373
Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:22:30 GMT

awsome!! dude this simply rocks.

Anyway a few minor points. Have it molded in black as it is more realistic in the USA and in red for the Europeans. Also drive rods! I have never seen a drive rod that is realistic to the squared off shape of the real thing. Other than that what you came up with is exactly what I am hoping for. It is a simple 2-part mold that makes the wheel simple enough to be cheap to make and realistic enough to have people asking where I got them.

OnDrew Hartigan NILTC

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Hi all!

In the past we have collected some demands we train heads have on driver wheels. These have been requested several times at TLC so far.

Here comes the wishlist to make up a draft for a new driver wheel:

1.) technic axle center

2.) peg hole for connecting rods

3.) diameter bigger than set 7750 and smaller than set 396

4.) flange design similar to 9V wheels

5.) narrow gaps between two wheels

6.) distance between centers of two neighbour wheels in a “common” dimension (4 stud / 5 stud / 6 stud?)

7.) running diameter dimension fitting to 9V and 12V wheel diameters

8.) wheel thickness higher than 9V and less than 1 stud (avoid contact between moving rods and wheel)

9.) counterweight as “click-on” extra part, (if 2 moulds were possible)

10.) shape not 100% after real prototypes but kind of “legoish”.

11.) center stud with Legologo

12.) ((Extra wish -Additionally a wheel without flange (blind driver) should be available.))

Solution: A wheel in diameter of nearly 5 studs (1 plate distance between neighbour wheels) as seen in the following pictures. A round 1x1x0.33 plate can be placed in the center.

The unofficial *.dat part-file of the wheel itself can be downloaded here

The *.dat part-file of the counterweight can be downloaded here