 Publishing / Brick Journal / 244
Re: BrickJournal 9 is OUT, as well as other news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:28:40 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Allan Bedford wrote:

When I look at the transition of BrickJournal from free to pay I always try to
keep in mind the disaster of Bricks magazine. In order to get to the point of a
printed magazine (1) Joe had no choice but to start off free.  He had to get
people used to the idea that a LEGO hobby-related fan magazine could work, and
could work on a regular basis.

But will it work now that people have to pay for it? Are people willing to pay
for it? Time will tell...

My feeling is that if a person had been interested in BrickJournal from the very
beginning then they've probably already downloaded all of the free files. So
they already have many/most of the free versions. And if someone just discovers
the magazine as it's become a pay-to-read enterprise then they'll have to buy
back issues. That's not at all uncommon in the magazine industry. But to go
forward, to get to the level of a printed magazine, Joe had no choice but to
look at ways to raise funds.

I hadn’t, assuming that they would stay free. Thankfully, a friend had
downloaded them.

Having to pay for the old issues are something that I’m not too happy about.
They were released for free and should stay free. They should not be used as
fundraiser for the printed version.

Again, that’s just my opinion. Obviously, there are those who disagree with
me...

But those hours don't even come close to the HUGE number of hours that Joe has put into it
from the beginning. I think he deserves a lot of credit for the effort he's put
into making BrickJournal a sustainable entity.

He certainly does (as do all who do volunteer work). I never said he didn’t...

If you have experience you feel would help avoid pitfalls, maybe you and Joe
could talk privately. He might benefit from the knowledge you have and perhaps
that could be used to make BrickJournal as successful as possible.  :)

I wish I could help, but I probably can’t. If I ever find a solution, I’ll write
a book about it and make millions. So far, the only thing I can say is: "don’t
do it".

Perhaps it’s just a symptom of our time. There aren’t many people who’re willing
to work for free.

(1) The importance here, in my mind, is that the LEGO building hobby NEEDS a
printed magazine to be the document of record. There is so much going on and so
little being written about this hobby. I'm hopeful that many fans will see the
positive growth that BrickJournal is going through and will come along for the
ride!  :)

I couldn’t agree more.

In the end, having to pay for a magazine is better than having no magazine at
all...