 Publishing / Brick Journal / 230
Re: BrickJournal 9 is OUT, as well as other news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:40:13 GMT

"Joe Meno" <jmenomeno@aol.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Allan Johansen wrote:

A few thoughts:

First of all, I'm disappointed that greed has gotten the better of you.
Issue
one to eight was released free of charge, and should stay free.

I'm sorry I disappointed you, although I can pretty much say the comment
on
greed is a pretty cheap shot.

Greed is a strong word (perhaps too strong in this case), but I'm not sure
what other word I can use.

I've been doing volunteer work for several clubs / publications over the
years and I have never asked for anything in return. That's the whole point
of volunteer work - working for free because you have a passion for the
hobby.
The BrickJournal used to be a magazine written by fans for fans; and a
fairly good one at that. Now, it's a magazine written by fans for money. And
in my experience, that's where things usually go wrong. How much do you pay
the writers? How much do you ask for the magazine? What happens when some of
the writers suddenly decide that they want more money? Do you raise the
price? Then the writers want more, the price must be raised again. It's a
spiral that you're never getting out of again. Been there, done that.

I'm not saying that it's going to happen to you. In fact, I hope it won't.
But sadly, once you start mixing money into volunteer fan-based work,
things, in my experience, tends to go wrong.

But that's, of course, just my personal opinion. It's your magazine, and you're
free to do with it whatever you want.

Secondly, I don't really mind paying for the following issues. That is to
say, a few dollars for the pdf-version is ok, 32 dollars + 36 dollars
shipping for the printed version is way too much.

That's actually 34 dollars, and I agree it IS high. And I am working on
some
solutions.

Ups, my mistake.

Thirdly, and most importantly, there's nothing trustworthy about the
site. I
get certificate errors causing IE to block parts of the site and I simply
can't understand why you need my address and phone number before letting
me
download a free preview of issue nine. And worse of all, I can't even
download it after entering those details.  I'm certainly not entering my
credit card details into that system.

I don't have certificate problems, but I am using Safari and or Firefox.
And you
should have gotten a link to download after you filled out the info. I
will
contact the publisher about this.

Strangely enough, I can't get those errors today. But then again, I'm not
sitting at the same computer. Yesterday I used my laptop (Windows XP), right
now I'm using my normal computer (Windows Vista).

The info is useful for one reason - it helps us figure out where people
are who
are interested in the Journal. The phone number can be substituted, but I
and
the publisher need this info to figure out how to reach people.

Joe

Fair enough. But the problem is that the site doesn't really look
trustworthy.