Re: Unit LNE of the dinochrome brigade (Was: Rock Crawling)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:13:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:

...the "course" is to drive over Steve...

The more I thought about this, the more I liked this idea: I wanted to make a
really high-mobility vehicle, but the problem with wheels is they are really
stopped by steps greater than their own radius (well, partially, ignoring
pushing from behind). Not to mention that the Really Cool wheels (Power Puller)
are a tad hard to find, so... I thought of PackBot, and with the higher torque
NXT motors, thought I might make a stab at it. The result works pretty well:
handling piles of laundry, crawling over LEGO, climbing 30° wood slopes,
uprighting itself after flipping, smashing minifigs, etc. The only problem is it
needs just a *little* more length to reliably crawl over my leg, and of course
treads are not the highest friction in the LEGO universe (and, I'm out of
treads).

The first problem was transmitting the drive motion through the "shoulder" joint
of the flipper arms. Then the second, bigger problem was reinforcing the heck
out of the structure to keep it from tearing itself apart: the first version
could easily torque the whole front off, while this one doesn't even flex. And,
it's all studless*

Brickshelf folder of static images:

And a few videos. I like the one where it crawls over the old Technic Space
Shuttle...
LNE vs the Empire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXHKtnFBcc
Studless meets studded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ik640MLj6k
On point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBYvs7vq_0

*OK, there are six studs: I needed someplace to put the crazy minifig driver.
More curiously, I found myself having the same odd issue that I think John Brost
mentioned earlier: it's gotten so natural to build studless for me now, that it
was hard to try to make it a "hybrid". I think I can do a little better,
actually for a hybrid version.

Awesome! Great videos!  BTW if you want to know how to make bigger tires, try
inserting old school 1" Lego tires into the crevices around the large grey "hula
hoops" from the star wars kit.  This will make tires at least 8" (20 cm) in
diameter that have deep tread to grip the edge of stairs.