Re: Unit LNE of the dinochrome brigade (Was: Rock Crawling)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:03:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

Have you considered using the new 5-wide treads found
in the new Technic Snowmobile?

Yes, and no. The problem is they are hard plastic with ridges, so if a tread
ridge catches on a rough portion of the surface, they push fine... but if the
surface is smooth, they'll just slide (very low coefficient of friction). The
width is nice, but even better is the fact that the new Technic treads can be
made in various lengths by adding/removing tread links, and since they are wider
than the driving sprockets the support and driving mechanisms can be completely
hidden within the tread footprint, much more like PackBot. Those treads would
also allow me to make drive sprockets the same radius as the turntable
"shoulder", again much more in line with how PackBot does it (there's a number
of modifications, such as the shape of the flipper treads and their offset, to
get around this little problem).

The other problem is simply expense. I've got a bunch of those treads, because I
wanted to experiment with them, but I stil don't have the six linear feet of
tread that this *small* PackBot analog would require.

if they're really as good as they look.

For some things, yes; the pin holes on them are really well done. They're not
quite as adjustable as the "old" chain and tread links, but that's just a size
issue (and at that small size, firm connections were... a lot more difficult).

I could use ideas on how to use the studless elements
in constructions.

Yes, I need to add some more detailed "exploded views".

it seemed to have a few problems getting over the
Space Shuttle itself...

It did, and I thought about re-shooting it... but hey, that's reality. Given
enough takes, I could always make it perfect :-). As to the "druken stagger"
after it makes it over, that's partially on purpose (to show the flexibility of
the platform) and partially because it's hard to control (remembering which way
I want to turn the flipper arms is tough when it's upside down, etc.)

I'd have appreciated a bit of
camera zoom/pan or the model
running around showing how well
it can turn.

I'll work on that: driving the model takes two hands, which doesn't leave a lot
free for running the camera :-).

In fact, I'm hoping someone out there has or
is working on a compilation of studless building
techniques.

I've been asked that a couple of times, and I guess I should make up some
examples and mechanisms... but it's always surprising to me, because I feel like
I am a rank amateur at studless construction (at least every time I look at
LEGO's official models). But yeah, consider me bugged.

have you thought about trying to get the treads themselves
to slide as well as turn [etc.]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean: can you exaplin it better, or build a
simple model to show what you mean?

have you tried building a ganged pair of front
wheels in a triangular formation?

That configuration is called a "tri-star wheel", and appeared in the movie
"Damnation Alley". And yes, it's been done in LEGO, and done well. Search LUGNET
for "tri-star wheel", or just go here:

http://www.visi.com/~dc/

--
Brian Davis