Re: Unit LNE of the dinochrome brigade (Was: Rock Crawling)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:13:18 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

Have you considered using the new 5-wide treads found
in the new Technic Snowmobile?

Yes, and no. The problem is they are hard plastic with ridges, so if a
tread
ridge catches on a rough portion of the surface, they push fine... but if
the
surface is smooth, they'll just slide (very low coefficient of friction).
The
width is nice, but even better is the fact that the new Technic treads can
be
made in various lengths by adding/removing tread links, and since they are
wider
than the driving sprockets the support and driving mechanisms can be
completely
hidden within the tread footprint, much more like PackBot. Those treads
would
also allow me to make drive sprockets the same radius as the turntable
"shoulder", again much more in line with how PackBot does it (there's a
number
of modifications, such as the shape of the flipper treads and their
offset, to
get around this little problem).

I see.  I wonder if we'll ever see some kind of rubber plug-in outer surface
for these treads?  Since they already have mounting holes, it only remains
to figure out what would best suit a tread so as to improve it's grip.
Ideally it would be like a car tire's tread pattern whereby the tread
presses harder given more weight.

The other problem is simply expense. I've got a bunch of those treads,
because I
wanted to experiment with them, but I stil don't have the six linear feet
of
tread that this *small* PackBot analog would require.

:-)  I can completely understand the expense angle.  I'm hoping that since
there are even more of these treads in the bulldozer which is also due out
this year, that the expense angle can become somewhat cheaper.  And I think
that the bulldozer will also have a lot of extra useful parts.  ;-)

if they're really as good as they look.

For some things, yes; the pin holes on them are really well done. They're
not
quite as adjustable as the "old" chain and tread links, but that's just a
size
issue (and at that small size, firm connections were... a lot more
difficult).

I think there was some saying about size to usability ratio increases as you
get bigger - not sure what it was actually worded like, though.

I could use ideas on how to use the studless elements
in constructions.

Yes, I need to add some more detailed "exploded views".

True, or if you have the parts in an LDRAW program derivative, you could
probably explode-assembly them there.  I have to investigate a program I
have downloaded here called MLCAD, anyway.  If you wanted to, you could
provide a suitable file format for downloading, or have it written out as a
text LDRAW file, that would be okay I think.  But I also need to try and
update the LDRAW parts library.

it seemed to have a few problems getting over the
Space Shuttle itself...

It did, and I thought about re-shooting it... but hey, that's reality.
Given
enough takes, I could always make it perfect :-). As to the "druken
stagger"
after it makes it over, that's partially on purpose (to show the
flexibility of
the platform) and partially because it's hard to control (remembering
which way
I want to turn the flipper arms is tough when it's upside down, etc.)

:-)  Maybe the front arms could be made somewhat longer in length?

I'd have appreciated a bit of
camera zoom/pan or the model
running around showing how well
it can turn.

I'll work on that: driving the model takes two hands, which doesn't leave
a lot
free for running the camera :-).

:-)  All I could suggest is perhaps rework the control unit you're using,
btw, can you include some shots and explanations of that?  Or are you using
a bluetooth communication to your PC/mobile to drive it?

In fact, I'm hoping someone out there has or
is working on a compilation of studless building
techniques.

I've been asked that a couple of times, and I guess I should make up some
examples and mechanisms... but it's always surprising to me, because I
feel like
I am a rank amateur at studless construction (at least every time I look
at
LEGO's official models). But yeah, consider me bugged.

I know, but every time I look at instructions for studless I start to wonder
which way I should orient everything.  I've been experimenting with the
pieces themselves, but getting the hang of studless sometimes is difficult
if what you've built is mostly the standard out-of-the-box models.  It is
certainly paying off though, I'm expanding my learning of studless the more
I work at it the more I know what I can and can't do.

Also, changing from one orientation to another to send the drive shaft where
you want it can be tricky at times, and leave you wondering which direction
you originally wanted to go in anyway.  :-)

have you thought about trying to get the treads themselves
to slide as well as turn [etc.]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean: can you exaplin it better, or
build a
simple model to show what you mean?

Well, I'm not actually sure it's possible to do, given how complex it
already is, but basically give them the ability to slide forwards and
backwards (extend and retract) along their own length.  It may require more
parts, gearing, and motors than is practical, anyway.  But imagine a sliding
door moving back and forth.

have you tried building a ganged pair of front
wheels in a triangular formation?

That configuration is called a "tri-star wheel", and appeared in the movie
"Damnation Alley". And yes, it's been done in LEGO, and done well. Search
LUGNET
for "tri-star wheel", or just go here:

A very nice vehicle indeed!  I notice nobody has yet tried studless
construction.  That would indeed be a true test of model building skill to
accomplish that.  :-)  If they were available in sufficient quantity, I'd
use the large wheels from the power puller set, as they'd make pretty good
tires for such a model and give it plenty of ground clearance to boot.  :-)

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde