 General / 47389
Re: Update: Universal colors - beginnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 18:15:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
While the final list of extended "locked" colors has not been finalized yet, at
minimum, the universal colors will include:

- red
- green
- blue
- yellow
- white
- black
- new light gray
- new dark gray
- new brown

What broad sided the AFOL community was the fact that I'm sure everyone here
assumed that all of these colors were fixed (including the old grays and brown).
Grays and browns have been around seemingly forever.  It's crushing to know that
those of us who love old Classics like Classic Space or Pirates won't be able to
get new pieces in the same colors.  How many years has it been for the original
gray and brown?

Everything else in your list are Lego's trademark colors.  You simply can't
change red, green, blue, yellow, white, or black.  It's simply unthinkable.
These are the colors I buy in buckets, literally!  I've got dozens of plastic
Lego buckets in the garage right now.  I'm sure everyone inside and outside the
Lego Company would agree about these colors.

As a suggestion to Lugnet (I hope "they" hear this), these Universal Colors need
to be spelled out on a web page that's easy to get to.  I know that there is the
<http://guide.lugnet.com/color/> page, but I had to search for it, as I
couldn't find it any other way.  I'd suggest putting a Color Guide link off the
main Lugnet Guide page.

From the Lugnet color guide, it looks like these colors have been around for
quite some time.  It lists blue, red, yellow, white, and black as having been
around since 1950 (with a question mark).  It lists green ("forest green" in the
Lugnet Color Guide) as being around since 1960 (again with a question mark).
Brown ("dark brown" in the Lugnet color guide) has been around since 1978.  Gray
has been around since 1970.  Dark gray has been around since 1989.

If the gray listed in the Lugnet Color Guide is the same gray that was recently
changed, you can see one reason why it's so hard for the AFOL community to
swallow this change since that color has been around over 30 years!  As someone
who was born in 1969, that was one of the "original Lego colors" to me!

Oh well, enough ranting.  In this day and age, having a list (with pictures) of
the official "universal" colors posted on the Web somewhere is the least that
Lego (in cooperation with the online community) can do.

Jeff