 General / 47412
Re: Update: Universal colors - beginnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 21:49:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
Many people have asked what colors are currently considered "universal" or
locked. This means that these colors will almost certainly never be changed.
Universal colors are colors that we consider to be untouchable for change.

While the final list of extended "locked" colors has not been finalized yet, at
minimum, the universal colors will include:

- red
- green
- blue
- yellow
- white
- black
- new light gray
- new dark gray
- new brown

This list will grow from what I understand, as decisions are made internally in
the next couple of weeks about what colors do should be added to this list.

But for sure, the colors above are locked, and considered universal. They're
here for the very long term. Like a good club, once you're on the list, you're
on the list.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

I know some people are still thinking this is bad news, but I disagree.  Thanks
for providing this list to us, Jake.  Of all the news you have given, I think
this may be the most healing.  Now we can look forward to some degree of
stability somewhere.

I am really most glad about white.  I was worried that it was headed for a
change, as some have noted that the old greys were combinations of the current
white and black colors.  Honestly, after owning some new light grey, I think I
am on the way to accepting it.  It really seems to be a trivial shade change in
my eyes.  The dark grey--well thats another matter. :)

I imagine that the "sand" colors will not make the list.  Not that it is
terribly important.  Actually, if this new grey schema is really here to stay,
then I would expect Lego to adjust the "sand" colors to match.  They really so
stand out oddly with the new greys, probably because they are color variants
that involve the old greys.

Anyway, I am glad you got back to us so quickly on this issue.  Despite what
others think of your honesty, I feel that I can trust you.  I also feel that I
can trust TLG, when they are intent on making a statement.  Neither you nor the
company are really known for lies or deception.  Lego has frequently been
secretive, but that isn't the same as deceptive, and fairly often, I bet it was
a smart move--just not this time.

-Alfred