 General / 47413
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 21:51:04 GMT

Hello Jake,

First to respond to your request: At a minimum, I would request all bricks, plates and slopes in all three classic colours. I would further stand behind the requests others have made for specialty pieces. I would add the new pieces which have not yet been produced in the old colours. Yes, I know this may be a tall order, and I may be dreaming, but this is all about dreams.

Thank you, Jake, for all that you do for the community. I know it’s a difficult position you are in, but surely the asbestos suit comes with the job. I am glad to know that you are one of us AFOLs and that you are listening. I know that you are the messenger, so I will give you my message. I hope that the recipients may understand it. Please pass this on to The LEGO Company.

Dear LEGO

This latest bit of news is not good; it is a further big mistake added to the previous big mistakes.

If I may clarify:

Mistake number one was the changing of the colours. Mistake number two was the apparent attempt to slide mistake number one past all the consumers. (Between the surprise at the AFOL response and the suggestion that the younger kids won’t notice, it looks like a ‘slide’) In response to mistakes one and two, we get mistake three, the ‘cementing’ of mistake one and the assurance that mistake two will never happen again.

Surely the vehemence and anger of the responses here should have no one terribly surprised. Trust was betrayed and that will take a long time to rebuild, regardless of assurances. And, I’m not belittling the assurances stated thus far, I’m just saying that ‘walking the talk’ takes time. The pain, the wounds, the scars are not going away for many people here because mistake number one has not been corrected. Stating that it will never be corrected will keep those wounds tender for quite some time.(1) Calling these new colours ‘universal’ simply throws salt in those wounds and makes many here feel misunderstood and unheard.

Strong and passionate words, indeed, but we AFOLs(2) are a passionate lot. Such is the result of creating a toy of such quality and possibility. Would anyone there rather work for one of those cut-rate competitors?

I know the times are difficult and changing back would be expensive, but even the assurance that the company will add(3) the classic colours in the near future, would be far more productive than this bull-headed adherence to a bad choice. I think that I can safely say that if TLC were to set a return to the original colours in motion, the AFOL ‘publicity machine’ would do all we can to support the company in all the ways we have in the past and then some. (If I’m promising too much here, let me know.) We have been excited about LEGO for many years; we’ve missed that excitement recently, but we could feel it again if we are able to believe in LEGO again.

I’ve gone on rather longer than I’d intended and please excuse the threadjack.I will say more later...elsewhere...

Peace and the tiniest glimmer of hope despite everything,

Ley Ward (Aka Professor Whateverly), AFOL, Lugnet member #2305 (late bloomer) and owner of over 60,000 pieces of LEGO

(1) And, yes they will heal sooner or later, depending how deep they are for each ‘victim’

(2) And that includes Jake, of course.

(3) Yes, add. We can use or trade the new colours along with the old.