 General / 47388
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 17:46:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In all seriousness, do you suppose that this is how MEGABLOKS does it? I’ve noticed for years that their “white” is more “white” than LEGO “white,” but I never knew the underlying reason.

Absolutely. Different plastics have different natural colors. Some start out clear, others start out white, and those are basically the only colors that can achieve a true white (since hobby shops generally only sell white styrene, I’d guess that it’s naturally white). Everything else will be affected by the underlying natural color tone, much like the look of paint will be affected by the color of the underlying coat. However, I expect economic factors were behind the decision to use PS over ABS, and the whiter white was merely a side effect.

   Is there a simple, reliable way to discern the difference between ABS and straight polystyrene without damaging/destroying either in the process? They both taste the same, AFAIK...

I’ve never done a taste test on them, but polystyrene weighs less by volume, and it has a different feel to it (it’s hard to explain in words alone, but ABS actually seems to feel more “glossy” than polystyrene). Color spectrometry will probably be the best harm-free way to figure it out...provided you have access to a spectrometer (and they’re quite expensive). Beyond that, scratch tests, burn tests, and corporate espionage might tell you what you want to know (provided you don’t get caught attempting that last one).