 General / 33371
33370  |  33372
Subject:
Update (Re: TLC recalls 6776)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:00:52 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In light of recent events, TLC is about to recall 6776 Ogel Control
Center. Word has it that a consumer was distressed over some graphics on
the box back and instructions. It will not be re-released with new packaging.

Grab 'em while you can...

I was just watching the Today Show (Morning News show on NBC in America).  They
had someone from the Consumer Products Safety Commission on talking about what
toys kids should and should not be playing with in the wake of the terrorist
attacks.

Good Toys:
Fire Trucks
Toys that promote Heroism

Bad Toys:
Toys that promote gratuitous violance.

Guess what the first toy they showed in the Bad catagory was... 6776.

They had the LEGO Logo taped over (only toy they did that for Hmmm...) and she
did say that the toy was being removed from shelves thanks to the "Very
conscientious manufacturer".

I guess thats good news and bad news for LEGO.  The bad is that they were shown
as being the manufacturer of a toy that promoted gratuitous violance.  The good
was that they were doing something about it.

I wonder what TLC's current official stance on violance is?  They can't hide
behind their old stance of wholesome nonviolance anymore.

Eric Kingsley