 General / 33386
Re: TLC recalls 6776
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:57:54 GMT

To All,

<snip>I've always had
misgivings about the violence in this theme. I now believe this set was
unacceptable in the first place. The idea of selling a set depicting the
bombing of *anywhere* is totally unacceptable.

It isn't really bombing, in the sense of destruction, though. Mind control orbs.

I agree with this comment, i've veiwed the growing violence theme in lego
themes over the years with sorrow. Admittedly it started a long time ago
with castle but the emphasis was never on violence, the fighting was never
mentioned and there was not even a 'goodie' or 'baddy'

It might have not been mentioned per-se, but if you look at any of the
pictures from old catalogs, or idea books, it was clear they did not just
ride around on horses and talked to the royalty. There were seiges that took
place, sword fighting, robberies, etc. (Other themes as well, I remember the
Blacktron holding up the Futuron monrail) I don't think LEGO has ever been
totally free of violence since the early eighties, late seventies. To just
judge one theme in light of this tragic event, seems excessive.

My main wish is that they never adopted this kind of policy which says does
not encourage violence or whatever (I don't remember their spin on this),
because it is there. What is the term, historical, so 6 shooters are OK.
Whatever.

having said that it has to be said that blowing people up with planes was
not invented this month, one example, the US (and UK) has been bombing Iraq
since the gulf war, it just happens that Iraq is (presumably) not a large
market for lego.

I am not sure what you are saying here, but it sounds like debate fodder to me.

Scott S.