 General / 33477
Re: TLC recalls 6776 (the person who complained)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:22:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh writes:

In the case of 6776, how could she know the story without
buying the set?

  1. Read the S@H catalog.
  2. Check Lego's website.
  3. Ask on Lugnet or r.t.l.
  4. Look for reviews in parents' or fans' magazines.
  5. Ask her friends who have kids,  and might have bought the set.
  6. Ask a clerk,  if there was a knowledgeable one around.

In other words,  any of several ways that parents have used for years,  or
even centuries,  to investigate things they might buy for their kids.

The problem here is that you are an educated consumer.

No,  Mark's right: the problem here is that Melanie Berry is a moron.  Based
on an erroneous impression from a careless glance at the box,  she *invented*
a story line for the theme,  then went hysterically ballistic over it.
Instead of caving in, TLC should have threatened to sue her for slander.

The article describes her as a "former child counselor".  That means that
she's supposed to be trained and praticed in calmly observing and evaluating
surprising,  even shocking,  events and revelations.  I hope none of her
clients wound up scarred for life by her wack-o response to something they
told her...

She claims to have bought "everything [Lego] made for the last 7 or 8 years".
While probably not literally true,  it's very likely that she bought at least
some of the Pirates,  Castle,  Wild West,  Star Wars or Ninja sets.  Most of
which involve violent conflict,  and some of which really do include bad guys
trying to kill innocent good guys.  By comparison,  Alpha Team's villain is
almost pacifist.

If it seems more violent to you,  that's probably because the setting is more
like present-day real life than the other themes I mentioned,  so the action
seems more "real",  and less "fantastic".

Cars, Trucks, Hospitals, Houses - these are the things I think of when I
think LEGO.

What,  no Trains?  ;-)

LEGO has all but abandoned this part of their product line

But was it Lego,  or the customers,  who abandoned it first?  My (possibly
erroneous) impression is that Juniorization,  and the addition of "action
figure-ish" themes and models,  is a response to customer desires,  not an
effort to drive them in any particular direction.  In particular,  many
(most??) kids today are less willing to spend the time to put together a bunch
of small pieces to make,  say,  an unrealistic-looking race car that's all
corners and angles,  instead of curvy and streamlined.  They want something
they can assemble quickly (if at all),  and get to their goal of playing out a
fantasy based on something they saw on TV,  or at the movies.

If I'm right,  clinging to The Old Ways (tm) could be downright suicidal for
TLG.

Ran