 General / 33379
Re: Update (Re: TLC recalls 6776)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:55:56 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In light of recent events, TLC is about to recall 6776 Ogel Control
Center. Word has it that a consumer was distressed over some graphics on
the box back and instructions. It will not be re-released with new packaging.

Grab 'em while you can...

I was just watching the Today Show (Morning News show on NBC in America).  They
had someone from the Consumer Products Safety Commission on talking about what
toys kids should and should not be playing with in the wake of the terrorist
attacks.

Good Toys:
Fire Trucks
Toys that promote Heroism

Bad Toys:
Toys that promote gratuitous violance.

Guess what the first toy they showed in the Bad catagory was... 6776.

Interesting. Of course I'd qualify the Alpha Team theme as a whole as
"Toys that promote Heroism". The comic in 6776 shows the "heros"
prevailing. Perhaps the set would have been more acceptable with a
couple Alpha Team minifigs and a small vehicle or so (this set actually
seems to be a departure from TLC's normal makeup of the largest set in a
theme, just about every one I can recall has included minifigs from both
"sides" of whatever conflict the theme presents).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com