 General / 33418
Re: TLC recalls 6776 (the person who complained)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:57:14 GMT

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:GKE0Ao.Kw8@lugnet.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

When the Alpha Team line first came out my wife commented that it appeard
very violent to her.  Quite frankly, I have to agree with her.  I don't have
any of the Alpha Team sets so I haven't really analyzed them nor have I read
the story (other than what was in one of the past Mania magazines) so I am
by no means an authority.  However, I am a consumer and a fairly
knowledgable LEGO one at that.  If my first impression is that of violence,
I suspect most less knowledgeable consumers will react the same way.

Cars, Trucks, Hospitals, Houses - these are the things I think of when I
think LEGO.  LEGO has all but abandoned this part of their product line in
favor of more trendy (and as evidenced by the 6776 debacle, more risky)
themes.  Unfortunately many people who have heard the story about the 6776
recall who are not educated LEGO consumers will now have a different view
(dare I say tainted?) of LEGO the company.

I think that LEGO has done the right thing.  The short term costs associated
with pulling 6776 off the market pale in comparison to the long term damage
that could potentially done to their name and reputation and there is no way
to put a cost on that.  It simply isn't worth the risk.

Well all the media debate about violent toys might drive parents (and hopefully kids!) back to the wholesome values of
Lego.
Of course, Lego have to revert to those values to as you point out, and get back to making Cars, Trucks, Hospitals,
Houses. GREAT!
That would be a win, win for me and Lego
regards
lawrence