 General / 33347
Re: TLC recalls 6776
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:25:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

It has in fact been recalled because of the cartoon pages
in the back of the instructions, and because of the cartoon
pages shown on the back of the box.  I have not heard anything
about wether it will be reissued with different artwork or not.
In the past they have usually not re-issued sets with artwork
problems.

I wanted to see what the fuss was about and since I diddn't have that
set yet, I went out to find one.  The LEGO outlet at Potomac Mills
was no help so today I drove out to the TRU in Winchester, VA.
They had a bunch, when I left they still had 8 on the shelf at the
front of the store.

After lookin at the cartoons, I can see what the problem is.  Sine I haddn't
seen it before 9/11/01, It is impossible for me to say wether It would have
registered any kind of reaction then.  My guess is that it would not.
However, in light of the new reality we face here in the US, I agree that
they are very disturbing.

It is obvious that the story is about some kind of evil character trying to
take over the world.  It appears that he intends to carry out a series of
missions to drop "mind control bombs" on populated areas.  One of the
pages shown on the back of the box is a map of the world with selected
target cities.  Ok, kids are exposed to stories of good and evil all the
time, and thats a good thing.  "Mind contrl bombs" obviously don't exist
so there is a healthy dose of fantasy in this.

The problem is, when you look at the artwork today, it looks very much like
a terrorist is bombing a large city with a biological weapon.  That is
what is so disturbing, and I think they were right to pull it at this
time.  The last page even gives you a world map with codes for selected
cities that you can enter into http://www.lego.com/alphateam (seems to be
gone).  Does anyone know what the website did with those codes?

That said, they could easially redo the artwork to eliminate the topical
references while keeping the "bad guy" nature of the set.  Actually,
it would probably be more effective to be less explicit in what the
"bad guy" does anyway and let the kids project their own ideas onto them.
Isn't that what Blacktron was all about?

KL

In lugnet.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In light of recent events, TLC is about to recall 6776 Ogel Control
Center. Word has it that a consumer was distressed over some graphics on
the box back and instructions. It will not be re-released with new packaging.

Grab 'em while you can...

-Suz