 General / 33408
Re: TLC recalls 6776 (the person who complained)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:57:34 GMT

"Mark & Milissa Millère" <mmillere@knology.net> wrote in message news:GKC3Hs.61H@lugnet.com...

It surely was not Milissa or myself. (residing in Charleston, SC)

this news item names the person who complained
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/wyff/20010927/lo/914690_1.html
Quote:
"Lego Recalls Toy Due To Upstate Complaint
It started with a trip to an Upstate toy store and ended with a major toy company ordering a worldwide recall.

In a push to keep violence out of her child's play, Melanie Berry logged a complaint with Holland's Lego Company.
Although playing with Legos is a favorite hobby for her 9-year-old son Cody, and she believes that they are wholesome
toys, she said that she had to take a stand.

"We have a lot of Legos, everything made in the past seven to eight years. We trust them and still do" she said.

She believes that the company's latest product puts that trust in jeopardy.

A day after the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington D.C., Berry said that Cody's father took their son to the
toy store to get a new set of Legos.

"I noticed immediately on the front it was a tower that collapsed when a plane hit it," Berry said.

Outraged, the former child counselor contacted the Danish toy maker's American office. She said that she wanted the
company to take that certain version of the toy off store shelves.

Lego's latest set of interlocking blocks is called The Alpha Team. It's a series that features a figure named Evil Ogel.
His goal is to kill people and destroy cities across the world. It's not the type of thoughts that Berry wanted for her
son.

"I told him we don't want to play with things that deal with killing innocent people," she said.

Apparently the company agreed, and ordered a worldwide recall of the 120,000 Alpha Team series toys. A company
spokeswoman said they did so because a "friendly consumer in South Carolina contacted Lego last week to complain," the
Associated Press reported Wednesday.

Berry is thankful that her complaint led the company to order a recall, but that this issue has put her, and hopefully
other parents, on alert."