 General / 14623
Re: Extraordinary style + details in a spaceship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 05:10:25 GMT

Kurt Williams wrote:

In lugnet.general, Colin Gutierrez writes:
Ken Takeuchi wrote:

      That is the best one yet!  The style reminds me of the Nostromo from
'Aliens.'  I especially like the use of the white octagonal corridor
sections and grey X-wing engines.
      --Colin

Actually it reminds me more of the USS Sulaco from Aliens. Really nice lego
model.
Oops, that's what I meant.  Freudian slip.

I'd suggest any lego space fans take a look at Syd Meads design works. He
started out in automobile design and for the last few decades has been
designing all sorts of neat stuff.. including:

-some tron video game vehicle designs and game world...
-the "look" of blade runner and several vehciles/props/layouts
-Johnny 5 from Short Circuit
-And lots of lots of starships in movies such as: 2010, Aliens [USS Sulaco
being one of my favorite all time SF designs].

Ironically, Cameron vetoed many of Mead's original design concepts for
_Aliens._ The original sulaco was a bulbous craft with a spiral section
on the back.

Several of his books is published by Kodansha.. however they are expensive but
well worth the money. He is well known in Japan.. he even did designs for
various anime projects.

There's also a video game for the ill-fated NEC TurboGraphix-16 called
Syd Mead's Terraforming.  I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but it
sounds good.
--Colin
|                   |  Brick Engineer   |         |
| Colin R Gutierrez | __   __   __   __ |  2000   |
     http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Saturn/5559