 Trains / 31203 (-100)
  Re: LEGO Group and Disney Consumer Products Announce Building Sets Inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean

(...) Never work, because we know kids NEVER run trains around curves too fast. Or crash them into things. IIRC, TRAINS magazine had a writeup of this movie (focusing on the "how it was made" details but with some other coverage) and the writer (...) (14 years ago, 22-Nov-10, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Externally Powered Monorail running on LDCC

Hello everyone! So I've been experimenting with the externally powered monorail... Then I remembered how much fun I had with Mark Riley's LDCC-- (URL) (vid from way back in '06) So one thing led to another, and here's the result-- (URL) (monorail (...) (14 years ago, 12-Nov-10, to lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.space, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Basic Train Elements

(...) pick-a-brick -- atleast as per my research. Thanks Scott. Let me see what I can do with my existing pieces. (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Basic Train Elements

(...) I hardly ever use any of the special train elements. Other than track, the new large wheels, and the old style couplers (with removable magnets), it has been a couple of years since I used a special train piece. I use (URL) wheels otherwise, (...) (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Basic Train Elements

I have been digging around online Pick-a-brick to find out the various elements I would need to get the basic stuff to get a train going (wheels, axles, plates, buffers, etc). Besides finding the right elements (I am using the parts list from the (...) (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  New Video of PF Trains and Flexi-Track testing

I've posted a (URL) new video> of the MOCs in my loft: - PF trains and testing, including the first showing of my Class 14 loco working, and a new brake van. - Flexi-track ballasted, canted and sloped successfully at wide radius. - Scenic modules. (...) (14 years ago, 21-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) You could also possibly mount (URL) these> horizontally from your poles, and simply wrap string around the end. May be difficult to get enough clearance on bends though. You could also tie string between poles mounted on opposite sides of the (...) (14 years ago, 15-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) For trolleys maybe you could use (URL) or (URL) which protrude only a little. Catenary would probably be more difficult, can't think of a good (LEGO only) way to do those. ROSCO (14 years ago, 14-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  RAILBRICKS Issue 7 is Out!

A new issue RAILBRICKS is here! Inside you'll find articles for beginners, lessons on how to photograph your trains, more RCX/PF train experimentation, new ideas for smooth curves, instructions, and more! To download the new issue, go to: (URL) Big (...) (14 years ago, 13-Oct-10, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish.railbricks, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX) !!

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) Interesting... How to join it in a smooth and clean way? That seems to present the same problem as how to attach the string, you end up with something sticking below the plane of the string that the trolley pole or pantograph would (if (...) (14 years ago, 13-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) Yep, (URL), but look around and you'll see others using it now too. Benn (14 years ago, 13-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) --snip-- (...) What abour (URL)? It comes in lengths of up to 23L so you might have to join it midway. Tim (14 years ago, 12-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) Hi Rick! Right now I'm looking for an all LEGO solution. I already have loads of black string which looks exactly like LEGO string. What I'm struggling with is how to do the attachment to each of the poles in a way that doesn't impinge on a (...) (14 years ago, 12-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) Hi Larry! Long time no see! If you’re not committed to being LEGO-pure with the wires, there’s a great model railroad solution. I saw it demonstrated at a train show several years back and logged it into my memory in case I (or you) ever (...) (14 years ago, 12-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) One thing to think about is whether wire would actually add enough to the layout to make it worth all the hassle. I've seen quite a few layouts now with just poles, and they generally look really good. ROSCO (14 years ago, 12-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) For a more easy string build trolly wire, you could try the "String with End Studs"-part. When I use this part, I turn the end studs a bit to get some tension in the strings. (14 years ago, 11-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Catenary and/or Trolley wire

(...) Hi Larry, One of our club members made some poles and placed a wire on it just like the 'real' electification. Il looked nice, BUT ... - it takes a whole time to wire up on events. - Take care that the wire doesn't get messed up. - be sure (...) (14 years ago, 11-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Catenary and/or Trolley wire

Have folks done trolley wire or catenary? I've seem some folks that did some using the Maerklin parts but I'm not looking for functional, just something that looks good. I think I have a fairly good design for the poles. trying to decide if tying (...) (14 years ago, 11-Oct-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) As a long term die-hard fan of 9V equipment I have to agree here 100%: The new motors rock. They are extremely fast, very strong, surprisingly "energy" efficient. After purchasing and testing the new trains, I found that they have great play (...) (14 years ago, 19-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) The fact that the new PF train motor seems to be more powerful than the 9 volt motor would incline me to go with the new system. I don't like the dark Blay track, but such is life. I will be keeping my 9 volt track and probably run the PF (...) (14 years ago, 18-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) Not off hand but I've seen people use the edge of a plate with bar for it. I have a vague memory seeing a link on RAILBRICKS a while back but I could be mistaken. Tim (14 years ago, 17-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) Build your own? Do you have any url's handy? (14 years ago, 17-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) Whoops... missed that bit. All indications are that LEGO will be using the RC track for a long time and they seem very committed to PFS in trains too and have invited various AFOLs to help out with it. I'd be very surprised if this system (...) (14 years ago, 17-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Investment for a home layout?

(...) Honestly I wouldn't even think about switching 9V if you don't already have a bunch. The IR track is far more versatile (and you can even build your own) balanced by the downside that you have to hide a battery box for power. Save your money (...) (14 years ago, 17-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Investment for a home layout?

I am using Bluebrick to design an abstract layout at 4.5m x 2.5m to simulate my home suburb. What I am trying to decide on is do I invest in the 9v track, use the current RC track (I have a fair bit thanks to the sets I have bought eg: 7939), or is (...) (14 years ago, 17-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SRW Scenic Tours: Burning the Midnight Oil

(...) That's really nice, Tony, but it leaves one wanting: wanting to see more detail of the actual MOC! I realize that it is an evening scene, but heck, and really, is there anything Photoshop can't do? I'm imagining an engineer standing in the (...) (14 years ago, 16-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Are you sitting down? A friend even talked me into signing up for Twitter! Relax, though; I've never been to the Twitter site since then:-) I don't actually use FB that often, either (Maybe once or twice a week) (...) Lol (...) Well, there's (...) (14 years ago, 16-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  SRW Scenic Tours: Burning the Midnight Oil

The next installment in my Sava Railways Scenic Tours photo series: "Burning the Midnight Oil" (URL) Image is a link. --Tony (14 years ago, 16-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Hehehe. John has Facebook. Well I never! I mean the gibberish in the center of the page, not the gibberish in the ads. All the status updates, who is 'friends' with who, and occassionally something 'useful' like a picture of a tram. Ummm... (...) (14 years ago, 15-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Trolled? By me??? Shirley you jest;-) Tim, you might find it surprising that, not only do I know about Facebook, I have an account there as well! So I know about the gibberish ads on the right side of the page. What I didn't understand was how (...) (14 years ago, 15-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) I can't quite tell if I'm being trolled here as I believe you've mentioned before that you tend not to waste too much time on the broader internet. So... (URL) facebook>. Tim (14 years ago, 15-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Is that some sort of setting you have for LUGNET or perhaps MOCPages? JOHN (14 years ago, 15-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) It's the typically meaningless jibber jabber that uses your screen real estate when you look at Facebook. Tim (14 years ago, 15-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Hey, what does that mean? ("Facebook stream") JOHN (14 years ago, 15-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Great work on all of these. Was nice to see them pop up in my Facebook stream. Tim (14 years ago, 14-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) thanks, Paul. Actually, we met at Bricks By The Bay. Though, I am sure we both met way to many people to remember all of them. Best, Jonathan (14 years ago, 14-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Speaking of very beautiful: haven't seen any of your MOCs posted here lately, Cale...wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, say no more! ;-) JOHN (14 years ago, 14-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

Arrgh! I wish I had known you were coming to SF - BAYLUG would have had a get-together to meet you! Paul Sinasohn BAYLUG LUGNET #115 (14 years ago, 14-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) Oh Wow! These are very beautiful. The PCC Trolleys are my favorite but the PATH train is really nice too. Cale (14 years ago, 14-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

(...) orange and red. They look terrific-- you really nailed a PCC trolley! And 8 wide to boot? Icing on teh cake! :d (...) The PATH car looks really nice as well-- lots of nice details in there. That dark blue/light gray combo really pops. Great (...) (14 years ago, 13-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  PCC Street Cars and NJT PATH Train

I had been building a 1940's(?) Brooklyn Street Car when I vacationed in San Francisco recently and saw many different paint schemes. I decided to build one in a different color: (URL) this weekend I finished up a NJT PATH train: (URL) really being (...) (14 years ago, 13-Sep-10, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains) !

  SRW Scenic Tours: Stirring The Giants

The next installment in my Sava Railways Scenic Tours photo series: "Stirring the Giants" (URL) Image is a link. --Tony (14 years ago, 10-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Texas State Railroad Coaches #42 and #44

(...) Ohhh, nice orange cars, Tony! <g,d,r> All seriousness aside, really nice job, Tony. I love your design for the trucks, and I love how the cars sit highly on them-- very prototypical:-) I think it's really cool that you are building cars (...) (14 years ago, 8-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Texas State Railroad Coaches #42 and #44

(2 URLs) State Railroad Coaches #42 and #44> These are my MOCs of the Texas State Railroad air conditioned coaches #42 and #44. The design has changed quite a bit since I first started - I've shortened it 6 studs, raised it a plate, and completely (...) (14 years ago, 8-Sep-10, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Texas State Railroad Engine #7

(...) <snip> Beautiful work, Tony. Ed (14 years ago, 7-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Texas State Railroad Engine #7

(...) <snip> Beautiful MOC, Tony. The paint scheme looks SO nice in LEGO; I love your renders, great photography of the MOC, nice snottage; great work all around! Thanks for posting, Tony! JOHN (14 years ago, 7-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Texas State Railroad Engine #7

(2 URLs) Full Gallery> Texas State Railroad ALCO RS-2 Engine #7 From the TSRR website: Engine number 7 is the second oldest diesel locomotive operated on the Texas State Railroad. This engine was built in 1947 by the American Locomotive Company at (...) (14 years ago, 7-Sep-10, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX) !

  Re: Train motors comparison

Many thanks for your excellent and interesting work done here, Philo! I own the new Power function trains for not much more than a week and found them wonderful and very sufficient until now. These new PF trains are strong, fast and it is so much (...) (14 years ago, 5-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Train motors comparison

Hi Ludo, (...) I don't know precisely for the 9V motor casing, but I think it is possible. For sure, RC and PF motors are mechanically compatible (see (URL) after moderation: (URL) Anyhow, great from LEGO to use a better (...) ...and for RC train! (...) (14 years ago, 3-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Train motors comparison

(...) Hi Philo, Thanks for this information. I can imagine that you have only one motor for testing purpose, but if possible, can you open the PF motor to see if it can be placed in the 9V train motor casing? I'm convinced that several people are (...) (14 years ago, 2-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Train motors comparison

(...) Ditto, except 6 wide. Thanks, Phillipe. Ed (14 years ago, 1-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Train motors comparison

(...) Okay, this is awesome work, Philippe, to see the comparison of the new PF motor vs the 9 volt motor. As an eight wider, I always lamented the underpowered 9 volt motor in its attempts to pull heavy, 8 wide consists. But it wasn't such an issue (...) (14 years ago, 1-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Train motors comparison

(...) Very nice Philo, thanks! ROSCO (14 years ago, 1-Sep-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Train motors comparison

(URL) The 9V, RC and Power Functions train motors compete around a track under close scrutiny of an on-board NXT... Complete test results (URL) here>. Enjoy! Philo (14 years ago, 31-Aug-10, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX) !

  RIP LEGO Thomas Line

I seems like only yesterday that I posted (URL) THIS>. Now the license has come to an end. I just wanted to say that it was a great run, and to Brad Justus, wherever you are, I offer a toast to your name: Salute! JOHN (14 years ago, 24-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX) !

  Re: Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?

(...) Yup, pretty much. Note the track up on the Tinker-Toy bridge, which plays an important role in the make-believe opening. (...) Ah, if only they had pause buttons in movie theaters... Okay, here's what I can see at 0:15 (better moment, right (...) (14 years ago, 19-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?

(...) Yes, I have seen this scene on (URL). I figured that this was Andy's imagination version of himself playing with his toys. (...) Now, check out the official trailer (URL) at :17. You can see the train set on the floor, if however briefly. (...) (14 years ago, 19-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?

(...) No. That is, I don't think so. The train features in a "make believe" scene at the start of the movie, and the version we see at this time looks VERY different from the LEGO set. Not only is there a coal car, but there are at least three (...) (14 years ago, 18-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?

(...) It's elephants all the way down. I admit I was wondering that myself though. (14 years ago, 18-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?

Here is a question for those of you who have seen the movie, Toy Story 3. I haven't yet, but hope to, soon. The question is: Is the (URL) 7597> the exact same toy in the movie (that is, does Andy own LEGO set #7597), or is set 7597 LEGO's version of (...) (14 years ago, 18-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Sava Railways Instructions Collection #2

(URL) Sava Railways has once again unlocked the company vault, and four new Sava Railways steam engine blueprints can now be purchased at (URL) SRW Locomotive Works>. These blueprints are of a Double Porter 2-4-0+0-4-2 Garratt, a Ten Wheeler 4-6-0, (...) (14 years ago, 13-Jul-10, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Motors comparison page updated

(...) Ahhh... OK. Hopefully it will be available soon as a stand-alone item. -dave (14 years ago, 12-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motors comparison page updated

(...) This motor is included in the new train sets: (URL) I guess it will be available soon as spare part. Philo (14 years ago, 12-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motors comparison page updated

(...) Very good data, as usual. But... where is the PF train motor available? I only see the RC train motor at shop.lego.com -dave (14 years ago, 12-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Motors comparison page updated

(...) Great to see, thank you. Benn (14 years ago, 5-Jul-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Motors comparison page updated

(...) Supurb as always. Thanks! (14 years ago, 29-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Motors comparison page updated

Hi all, I just updated my motors comparison page to include the RC train motor and the new Power Functions train motor (much improved as you'll see). (URL) Motors comparison page> (2 URLs) Philo (14 years ago, 29-Jun-10, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX) !

  Re: I can stop building steam engines now...

(...) Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, it was great to see you and all of the other train builders at BW. Likewise, your consist was quite impressive. Benn (14 years ago, 27-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Union Pacific Challenger

Simply fantastic. Thanks for sharing. (14 years ago, 26-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: I can stop building steam engines now...

Benn, Excellent MOC! I really enjoyed seeing it in person and was surprised by the detail that it has. Really nice job curving the shape of the boiler! I had fun at BrickWorld, and hope to see you again next year. Scott (14 years ago, 25-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Union Pacific Challenger

(URL) I've been working on this for more than a year now. Powered through the articulated drivers with 4 XL Power Functions motors. It is capable of pulling all of the cars shown, which is quite a feet even to pull them by hand. Things to note: 4 XL (...) (14 years ago, 25-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  Re: New trains coming

(...) As per: (URL) passenger train is now available in US. A *slight* throwback to 7745, but quite different stylings 25 years on. Also slightly similar to Virgin trains in the UK - perhaps there's something more similar in mainland Europe or east (...) (14 years ago, 15-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I can stop building steam engines now...

(...) Thanks for the kind words Ben. I was quite tickled with crater plates myself, though it all happened accidentally. After a few folks complained about my backgrounds for earlier MOC pictures I decided to reach back and get the 48x48 baseplates (...) (14 years ago, 12-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: I can stop building steam engines now...

(...) Hi Benn! Very cool engines and building techniques - thanks for sharing them with us! I especially liked your use of crate plates to create the illusion of smoke rising from the smoke stack. Brilliant idea! Ben (14 years ago, 10-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  CONTEST - BricksNorth needs a logo.&#8207;

Posted on Behalf of Jenn Wagner (jenn@thebrickchick.com) BricksNorth where: Downtown Toronto, Ontario Canada at the Delta Chelsea Hotel. when: August 25-28th, 2011 Hello everybody!! Some of you may have heard that Canada will be getting a LEGO fan (...) (14 years ago, 9-Jun-10, to lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on, FTX)

  New trains coming

Hi all I noticed some new trains on Bricklink: (URL) are not on (URL) yet, nor here. However (URL) under the Danish version are 2 new sets 7936 and 7937. They are not under the US (default) version. I could not find any other information yet. The (...) (14 years ago, 8-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains)

  I can stop building steam engines now...

(URL) full gallery> I think I've built my masterpiece, I doubt I'll ever be able to top this one. Just over a year ago, after the Emerald Night came out I decided to build a better Pacific. My chosen subject was the Southern Pacific Railroad, 4-6-2 (...) (14 years ago, 4-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) I prefer to space mine at 270 degrees. Tim (14 years ago, 4-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) No, 90 degrees is the norm for 2 cylinder locos, as Larry says it's called "quartering" (because they are a quarter of a circle apart). It ensures that there is always at least one piston not at the end of it's stroke. ROSCO (14 years ago, 4-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) Most folk call this a "tender", since it carries water as well (and often, fuel oil rather than coal if the engine is an oil burner) (...) If weight helps you may have some binding in the driver mechanism somewhere. (...) Steam engines are (...) (14 years ago, 3-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) I built a coal car over a 9v motor, and tried it out on a circle of track. It had serious problems running while pushing the engine in front of the motor. I tried adding some straights in to make an oval so it'd have a couple stretches without (...) (14 years ago, 3-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Brickworld - Esther Walner Memorial Charity Auction

(URL) Share - Learn - Explore - Discover 2010: Bricks In Space Brickworld is only a couple weeks away and you are helping us set records with this year's event already with a massive 795 registered attendees. While this is incredible, the one record (...) (14 years ago, 2-Jun-10, to lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people, FTX)

  Re: Microscale trains by LDD

(...) There's some really nice models there. I've never got my head round using LDD/DesignByMe, but it looks like you have. I particularly like the Garrett Tim (14 years ago, 1-Jun-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) I can think of one alteration you'd want to make. They retooled the control stick base sometime in the last couple years, and the new bases are really loose, which causes them to push free over time, even if you're not fiddling with them. (...) (14 years ago, 22-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Help with dimensions

(...) Ah well, I guess you can't help if you're IT challenged ;) Just for you, I downloaded the part, and can tell you it's exactly 4 bricks high. Of course it hasn't been certified yet, but Philo is pretty good at this stuff, so it's probably (...) (14 years ago, 21-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) This seems like the best bet. It looks like it's based upon the the 4-4-0 "American" or similar designs (I'm not a train historian): (URL) that the tender is 8-wheeled, like the Emerald Knight, but having just 4 wheels (e.g a 9V motor) is a (...) (14 years ago, 20-May-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) That's good to know. I haven't gotten one yet, and would like to run it as unaltered as possible. (...) It's called a "tender." (URL) I believe that this is what I will end up doing when I get mine. (...) Given the news of a new PF train motor (...) (14 years ago, 19-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) Technically this engine has very ordinary articulation. The "driver" bogey uses a standard 4x6 bogey plate, and the front bogey is still attached with a centered pin even if it's a bit higher than normal. As for how it runs, another member of (...) (14 years ago, 19-May-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) I always respected your profound dislike of the blays, though I never quite understood why it upset you so much, Ben. But such is life:-) I just miss the good old days when you and I and all of the other old-timers were a lot more vocal on (...) (14 years ago, 19-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) All getting a bit worked up over something which is, after all, a children's targeted set ;-) On more practical matters, how about the motorization, and I presume the unusual articulation (mentioned earlier) works fine on actual track. (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) ... (...) Is that for overcoming my blay-phobia, John? Hahha... But I still do not appreaciate this cold color and I never used it in any MOC, although I own the one or other kilogram of that stuff, as I have to admit. Leg godt! Ben P.s.: (...) (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) Bingo. Art imitating art imitating life is going to be prototypically toyish, and therefore perfect as a "toy." This is one set that I wouldn't mind running unaltered on our layout. And greetings to you, Ben! JOHN (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Help with dimensions

(...) Good luck is right, considering that I'm nursing a 6 YO Mac (Not Intel based) and haven't quite gotten into Bricksmith yet:-/ I appreciate the response. Cheers to me mates down unda! (URL) JOHN (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Help with dimensions

(...) Thanks for the linkie and the help! JOHN (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Help with dimensions

(...) "The Rechargeable Battery box has tube building interface underneath and studs at the top. The size is 4 x 8 x 4 modules." (So 4 bricks high.) See (URL) for additional info. W (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Help with dimensions

(...) Sorry I don't have one yet. But you might be able to work it out by downloading the unofficial LDraw part (URL) here>. I'm at work or I'd do it myself. Good luck! ROSCO (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Help with dimensions

(URL) I'm wondering what the height in bricks this battery pack is. Anybody know off hand? TIA JOHN (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) I think you completely missed the mark right there. Given the nature of the franchise, it is probably a very accurate and highly detailed recreation of an actual toy train, with no "juniorization" involved. I bought it, and compared to a (...) (14 years ago, 15-May-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Toy Story Train comments?

(...) Hi, agreed on toyish appearance, but hey - this IS from a cartoonish source - hence it is perfectly fitting the theme. And that is no city and minifig style theme, so one can't expect this to be a train for a "regular" LEGO train layout. I (...) (14 years ago, 14-May-10, to lugnet.trains)

  Toy Story Train comments?

I see a video review here: (URL) too juniorized for my taste; it kinda fits into the same idea as the Harry Potter trains. The carriages are very short, which is a reasonable concession to the target age and the cartoon aspect of this, but I think (...) (14 years ago, 12-May-10, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact