 Trains / 31152
Re: Train motors comparison
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 02:59:39 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   The 9V, RC and Power Functions train motors compete around a track under close scrutiny of an on-board NXT...

Complete test results here.

Okay, this is awesome work, Philippe, to see the comparison of the new PF motor vs the 9 volt motor. As an eight wider, I always lamented the underpowered 9 volt motor in its attempts to pull heavy, 8 wide consists. But it wasn’t such an issue because one could always just add more motors. There certainly were, however, diminished returns in terms of track voltage. We at the TCLTC used souped up speed controllers, but that still didn’t solve the problem of overheated, over-worked 9 volt motors.

Though I would never switch to the new track, I would consider retooling with these superior motors.

I haven’t even checked to see if these are available yet on US SAH.

In any event, thanks for posting!

JOHN