 Trains / 31156
Re: Train motors comparison
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 16:02:29 GMT

Many thanks for your excellent and interesting work done here, Philo!

I own the new Power function trains for not much more than a week and found them wonderful and very sufficient until now.

These new PF trains are strong, fast and it is so much fun to drive trains in any speed and direction on one loop of track: I was a strong supporter of metal rails, but the experience with the PF trains are very encouraging. Finally LEGO came with another good invention. In my eyes these trains are a huge step forward in comparison to the disappointing first generation of Infra Red trains.

After reading and experiencing that the mechanical and electrical properties properties are in fact so much improved - I have to admit, that I played around with the thought of selling all my “classic” 9V equipment to go with the new system (if the track was in classic grey I would do for sure!).

Leg Godt,

Ben

BTW: I uploaded a video of the IR train 7898 at full speed and the new freight train 7939 following with variable speed (zero to full) at YouTube. This makes it obvious how much better these are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTE8tcYY2w

In lugnet.announce, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

The 9V, RC and Power Functions train motors compete around a track under close scrutiny of an on-board NXT...

Complete test results here.

Enjoy!

Philo