 Trains / 31185
Re: Investment for a home layout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:11:23 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:

   or is there likely to be a new track element to be released in the next 12 months?

Whoops... missed that bit.

All indications are that LEGO will be using the RC track for a long time and they seem very committed to PFS in trains too and have invited various AFOLs to help out with it. I’d be very surprised if this system isn’t around in five or even ten years.

The fact that the new PF train motor seems to be more powerful than the 9 volt motor would incline me to go with the new system. I don’t like the dark Blay track, but such is life. I will be keeping my 9 volt track and probably run the PF motors on it along with my 9 volt motors.

JOHN

As a long term die-hard fan of 9V equipment I have to agree here 100%: The new motors rock. They are extremely fast, very strong, surprisingly “energy” efficient.

After purchasing and testing the new trains, I found that they have great play value. I have to admit, I did not expect this after the lame IR-trains 2006. This is a huge step forward from the last train “system”, which have been too weak and with only 3 channels not even sufficient for kids to play with friends.

Now I can drive up to 8 trains (still wish there were 16 further channels for sidetrack, lights, etc.!). Some of these trains may be geared down to low speeds like the Emerald train. Additionally I can run 3 IR-trains of the first generation AND then the 9V stuff with 1 locomotive per loop of “classic track”. This is more than a dozen trains running independently with diverse speeds and even opposite directions. So it is by far more complex, than anything I could handle. And this complexicity offers much fun and play value. Even stopping a couple of trains with the belonging correct remote controls is hardly to be done in time, if any derailment takes place....

Even in test runs with only 5 trains of different kind I end up with crashes every 30 seconds unless I am are very focussed on driving them.

I also think the new trains offer a lot of value for 8-widers and fans of long trains.

And for people that are willing to modify the wiring somewhat, the possibilites are endless: - running 12V trains on their original motors upgraded with PF-receiver and 9V battery boxes of 1990ies is as well possible than using PF in a mix with IR first generation.

I myself will keep the 9V track for my main layout, since I own more than 800 pieces of track in total. For kids I will keep my plastic rails (which I basically dislike for their blay).

I recognise, that a life without 9V track is possible and PF is a perfect substitution for most requirements. And I sit on a stock of some 60+ train motors, which are nearby obsolete now....

I’m really glad, that LEGO made this new equipment that great. Well done and congrats to the “engineers” who designed the new system!

Leg Godt (this really plays well)!

Ben