 Trains / 31147
Re: Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:40:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Here is a question for those of you who have seen the movie, Toy Story 3. I haven’t yet, but hope to, soon.

The question is: Is the 7597 the exact same toy in the movie (that is, does Andy own LEGO set #7597), or is set 7597 LEGO’s version of the LEGO set in the movie?

No. That is, I don’t think so. The train features in a “make believe” scene at the start of the movie, and the version we see at this time looks VERY different from the LEGO set. Not only is there a coal car, but there are at least three passenger cars where the set only has one. I’m not sure they’re even built to the same general dimensions.

Yes, I have seen this scene on YouTube. I figured that this was Andy’s imagination version of himself playing with his toys.

   Unfortunately, when the scene transitions back to Andy’s bedroom, I didn’t think to watch for the train to see if he even has one, or how closely it matches the LEGO set if he does.

Now, check out the official trailer HERE at :17. You can see the train set on the floor, if however briefly. Looks like the coach has 4 wheeled bogies, and the loco also appears to have a tender. I just wonder if there is a better shot of it during the movie which might show more conclusively.

   However, given how similarly sized all the LEGO Toy Story characters are, it would only make sense if the LEGO set is meant to represent the “real” train in the opening scene and not any toy version that Andy might own (e.g. Hamm...er, Evil Dr. Porkchop, should be at least as big as the train engine, assuming it was ultimately based on a Lionel model).

You might be right here. Pity. It would have been cool to have Andy play with the actual 7597. Maybe cooler still, though, is that Andy is an KABOB and creates his own MOCs:-)

JOHN