 Trains / 31148
Re: Toy Story Train: Life Imitating Art, or Not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 06:34:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Yes, I have seen this scene on YouTube. I figured that this was Andy’s imagination version of himself playing with his toys.

Yup, pretty much. Note the track up on the Tinker-Toy bridge, which plays an important role in the make-believe opening.

   Now, check out the official trailer HERE at :17. You can see the train set on the floor, if however briefly. Looks like the coach has 4 wheeled bogies, and the loco also appears to have a tender. I just wonder if there is a better shot of it during the movie which might show more conclusively.

Ah, if only they had pause buttons in movie theaters... Okay, here’s what I can see at 0:15 (better moment, right after they zoom in a bit, but right before Molly toddles into the frame). The caboose is the same size as the passenger car, which is not the case on the LEGO model. All of the three cars have the same wheel-base, but the caboose is four studs (almost 33%) shorter at the doors. The cupola also appears to be centered, where the LEGO version is offset by one stud. The passenger car looks like it might be entirely, or at least mostly green. The LEGO version is brown with green doors and windows only. The engine has thicker yellow bands that are closer together than the LEGO version has on its boiler. Also, the piston cylinders look like they’re solid yellow (LEGO is red), the smoke stack is solid black (LEGO is dark-bley on top), and there’s something like a small cupola on the engine’s roof as well (not on the LEGO version). So, there’s some serious differences between Andy’s train and the LEGO TS3 train. Short of getting an official model photo from Pixar, an accurate redesign would be a lot easier after the DVD comes out.

   You might be right here. Pity. It would have been cool to have Andy play with the actual 7597. Maybe cooler still, though, is that Andy is an KABOB and creates his own MOCs:-)

There is a point where I noted that LEGO or DUPLO stuff does play a role in the movie, but I’ve only watched it once and I can’t remember what it involved. Don’t think it was the train, though...