 Trains / 2844
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:10:41 GMT

I'm going to toss in a few more pennies out of my pocket,

I am not a lego purist.  I cut up lego to get it to fit.  I use RS switches,
and Tech 2 powerpacks.  I use PVC pipe for Pnumatics.  I have a battery box
that has had major sugery done to it to house a RC reciever, batteries and a
speed controller.

To some of the people here, what I have done is to make my layout "not lego".
I'd agree.  It is not 100% pure unalulterated lego.  But, it is the most fun
indoor railway I have.

To me, this is what is important.  If we are to draw in kids, then it has to be
fun.  If we are to draw in adults, it has to be fun.

If it isn't fun, someone had better be paying me!

I have fun doing what I do.  I don't doubt that Larry, you have fun having a
strictly lego train setup.  I don't doubt that the GMLTC people (all 63 John's
:) ) have fun doing what they do.  I have chosen to modify lego where there is

a: a signifigant cost difference (lego tubing is around $1 a foot, vs .17 a
foot for PVC, and RS switches are about $1 vs $6 for lego)

b: a part that they -should- make but don't (1/4 straights, 1/2 straights,
insulated sections, changed geometry points)

I would buy a competitors bricks, if they were of equal quality, or were of
something that TLG doesn't market.  (XL train curves!)

I don't know, I think we are somewhat rambling about our personel philosophies
here (not though that is bad, it falls into the TOS for the group)

James Powell